"I just needed a minute." Shreya rolled her eyes.

"Your minute was over long back." Devika yanked her out and closed the door with a bang, making her flinch out of any nervous jitters she felt. "You should be grateful that, that boy is marrying you, Shreya. Do you realize that they are Chauhans? The moment they look at us, our standards change to another pedestal and you are making them wait? Is this how you pay their kindness back?"

"He needs me, Mom." She stated, getting irked by her hero-worshipping Chauhans and Rakshit. "If I back out, he can do nothing to make me agree again."

"You love him, Shreya." Devika reminded her appalled at her thoughts.

Shreya watched her and chuckled to herself, a mocking laugh. "Exactly. There is nothing to be paid back."

How in the world were they ever portrayed to be in love?

Well, she loved him once.

Her scoff dropped at the realization.

Shit, she loved him once.

And she was getting engaged to him.

What the h..............

"Stop looking like you have witnessed a murder. Smile and step in as you deserve to be here. Go."

She was pushed into the hall, tripping on the 4-inch heels she had to carry according to this extravagant dress. Her eyes closed as her mind was convinced of her fall.

Two arms grabbed her waist, pulling her to a standstill and halting her fall.

"Were you falling for me?"

The amused steel grey eyes made her brown eyes morph into a glare.

"Never in your dreams." She pushed his hold away, straightening herself as he watched his lips twitch in amusement. Her eyes took a quick scan around the place and then rested on him, the sudden urge to irritate him took over her. "You look like a human."

As always, he was dressed in a prim and proper black suit but the only detour was the burgundy silk tie that was crooked near the knot and her instincts pushed her to straighten it. Fisting her palms, she looked away and tried kicking the urge out.

"Thank you for the compliment." He chuckled and took a leisurely once over at her, palms pocketed and his head tilted with his eyes staring right into her soul. "You look decent too, Ms. Thakur."

The change of address made her frown and she blinked to make out of his intentions. What was he playing at?

But unlike her brain wanting to think it through, she focused more on his eyes that rested on the diamond set she was gifted by his mother.

"What is so interesting?" She turned conscious feeling his heated stare on her collarbone.

"Admiring my family heirloom on you." He answered meeting her eyes. "Indeed, it looks like made for you."

She felt blood rushing to her neck and chest, complementing the dress. "Stop looking at me."

"Sure." He piped yet never looked away until the announcement from the center broke his stare. He glanced at his father calling for the guests' attention as the current chairman for Chauhan Industries. The spoon clinked with the champagne glass thrice and he glanced at her. "That's our cue."

Her cold palms met his warm hands and she felt the shiver run down her spine. Nodding in a daze, she let him guide her towards the crowd where the big shots of Mumbai- the financial capital of the country- stood.