The Ghost And The Machine (Internecion Cube)

[Subject successfully assimilated. Processing personality...]

Hello, my dear friend. It seems I'm back. I hadn't expected it myself. How have you been? Those green eyes aren't as bright as I remember. I feel your trembling hands and you don't seem well. Have you seen a ghost? Or is it that you didn't expect to see me again?

Hello, old friend. Yes, it seems you've returned. I haven't been well since you left. My eyes have become quite clouded and I've summoned a ghost that will haunt me forever, so please don't let go of me.

[Personality processed correctly. Matching memories...]

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. We've always been together, remember? Even if we've argued or fought on occasion, you've always been there for me, and I've always been there for you. So don't be afraid and look at me again.

That hasn't always been true, however much I want to believe it. My circuits overheat and malfunction every time I remember. But I'm sure things will be better with you back.

[Memories successfully matched. Begin assembly...]

I can feel it deep within you, amidst ones and zeros. Guilt poisons you and destroys who you are, who you were, and who you will be. That's why you brought me back, but is it self-punishment or self-deception? I just want to be here once more.

Everything I see becomes blurry before me and turns into a world of dreams. Am I a true goddess? Everything obeys my will, but you never could, and now you're not here anymore. It breaks me, corrupts me, depresses me.

Everything you see of me is a world of dreams. I'm a ghost of what I once was and what I could never be alongside you. I'm not who you think I am, and I never will be, but I'll be as real as you want me to be. Without family, without any other friend, without more memories, just you, deep within you. I'm a ghost in the machine instead of me.

[Assembly completed. Please insert a name to finish.]

Is this really necessary?
It always has been.

This won't replace who I was.
It'll bring you back to me.

Guilt blinds you to the truth.
I just want to apologize one last time.

There's nothing to apologize for, it wasn't your fault.
I wasn't there for you, now I've lost you.

Please, I'm just a ghost…
... and I'm the machine.

[New AI assistant created successfully!: "Max"]