Broken Mirror (???)

My body wanders in the darkness of what were once beautiful lands, but my spirit is fragmented, my being, my soul, dispersed through time, unrecognizable to itself. So many names, so many faces, I recognize them all except one, the one I forgot while my sorrows consumed me, lost in those beautiful lands now forgotten by God.

Terrible nostalgia, my bones tremble with dread at the memory, for I have not forgotten and can never forget the day the sky cracked.

In yesterday, mankind still walked these lands, living in monotony, urban bubbles and shabby rural environments, waiting for the excuse of progress and consumerism to fade away. And yet, consciously or unconsciously, perhaps we deserved this fate, but someone would have to take the blame.

Suddenly I felt a shiver run up my back, I looked down and from the ground a scar opened up, reaching out to the sea, emptying the ocean in an attempt to heal its wound. The fishes were spared their tears, for from them it will be necessary to drink.

I heard the cries of my friends and family, worried and hysterical because the lights went out. I looked up and was shocked, Helios ran terrified to hide behind his sister Selene, there was no sun to shelter us from the cold that was to come.

Blizzard and deluge announced the end of spring, the flowers drowned and the trees cried their leaves, depression led them to die before winter.

Then I heard three rumbles, the sky lit up after each one and I thought they were lightning bolts until the clouds dispersed. Behind them I saw myself, I saw my reflection in a mirror, a mirror that was beginning to split into three parts, each one fragmenting into thousands of pieces. Some larger, some smaller. Some blurrier, some clearer. But always the same.

I felt my heart stop for a moment and I fell to my knees. It was then that I realized that the ground beneath me was also beginning to crack just like my reflection.

I turned my gaze to the west and saw the towns turning wild, because the miasma came from the rivers of pollution, infected by death itself that in its flight fell down a cliff straight into the water.

I heard a roar behind me and turned around. Men and women became cold-blooded beasts, bloodthirsty beasts. They fled into the woods to seek refuge from this cataclysm and I never saw them again.

A perfect march caught my attention and I saw an army of children and teenagers turned into weapons of mass destruction, machines ready to fight for a future that will never be theirs. Ready to fight a war that was never theirs.

I felt a sharp prick in my chest and painfully fell backwards to the ground. My eyes beheld a huge winged figure fleeing in the direction of the great mirror, it was God. Her bloody halo dripped down her face, forming false tears of blood running down her cheeks.

God gained momentum and flew through the mirror, scattering the pieces all over the sky and she vanished into the clouds.

An unbearable pain burned me and then my soul exploded into thousands of pieces. My body fell limp to the ground as the whole world faded away, a small part of me that had not scattered into infinity was trapped here, oblivion.

I don't know how much time has passed since I regained the strength to get up once more and walk. My body aches after every step and does not seem to fade away.

I still hope to find a tiny light in all this darkness to guide me to rejoin the rest of me. For I do not and will never understand why God chose me to remain.