Sweet metallic smell, bitter taste of tears (LSU)

And so, once again, I have returned to this dark forest, head down, leaving a crimson trail behind every step, my claws dripping, imbued with a sweet smell of iron and clouds heralding a deluge on a face I no longer recognize.

When did I stop feeling so alone? When did I stop wondering who or what I am? I began to wonder, sitting among the trees and bushes, with the dim blue light of this phone illuminating the dense darkness, looking at pictures of a happy couple, your beautiful face next to who I could have been.

It was just another day, another group, lifelong friends enjoying a few days in the wilderness. Easy prey, no one would hear their cries if I am cautious.

It was all so fast, hidden in the trees, I devoured what you loved most and became its reflection, but you didn't notice, no one did. You took my arm tightly and your bright sapphire eyes blinded me, your hugs and caresses warmed this cold chest, I began to feel something I felt in years.

The days passed, my curiosity got the better of me, I wanted to find out what it was like, what it felt like to be human again. We ate together, resisting the terrible taste of human food. We explored together, holding your hand at all times and guiding you to see the beauty hidden in the trees. We slept together, holding each other, feeling your soft ebony hair and a goodnight kiss.

But the more I fought my instincts, the weaker I became. I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't think, my stomach demanded more, a bloodlust began to grow. But I couldn't hurt you, I couldn't let you see who I really am.

The moon reached its highest point, you had to be careful, any loud noise was going to wake you up. The excuse would be simple: they would get up early and disappear into the forest, after all, it's not the first time something like this has happened.

And so it was, I slipped out and one by one I took them deep into the forest. It was a quick death, a simple crick in their necks was enough, but perhaps I was a little clumsy with the last of them. It woke up before I could get my claws on its head and saw my true face. A thunderous scream of terror deafened me for a moment, I jumped in surprise and we began to struggle. I still felt weak, his hands tried to push me away, but before he could escape, I bit down hard on his neck and tore his head off, splattering blood all over the camp.

The intoxicating stench of blood and its bitter taste calmed me for a few seconds, but then the whole world crumbled in front of me. When I turned around, you were already there, staring at me with glassy eyes.

I quickly returned to my disguise and tried to explain the inexplicable, but then terror flooded your face and you ran away, screaming for help. I stood there, watching you run away from this dark forest. I wanted to run after you and ask for forgiveness, but it is impossible to forgive the unforgivable.

Now I'm here, buried in the leaves, without heat, without food, without you. My strength has faded, hunger is killing me, or is it love? For since you've been gone I've refused to eat, the least punishment I deserve.

I haven't seen your pictures since yesterday, as the battery has died, but every second I don't see your happy face, time slows down and I keep thinking about everything I've done. For the lord of deception has deceived himself, making himself believe that he could feel love once more.

I never asked to be who I am, for with so many faces I have stolen I no longer remember which one was mine.

Time has passed, I can hardly move, I have tasted nothing but the bitter taste of my own tears, they are even more bitter than the nectar of life. Now winter has come, I see how the trees are dyed white and the cold numbs my thin and fragile body.

It's stopped raining in my eyes, I just want to sleep and hopefully wake up next to you once again.