Ch. 3- Introducing The Volkners

Start from the beginning

I started to regain some awareness of the dark alley, the people, and the surroundings, but everything appeared hazy, like a blurred dream. My head throbbed with the relentless pounding of my heart.

I had no idea when I left those two kind strangers behind in that dark alley and found myself standing in front of the bustling street. I spotted a taxi and waved frantically to catch its attention. When it finally stopped, I jumped inside.

"Where to, Signora?" The taxi driver demanded, his voice sharp with impatience.

I had completely forgotten the name of the hotel.

"Where?" he barked again, thinking I might be deaf.

"Caelus... Hotel Caelus!" 

I practically screamed in response.

The taxi driver was startled by my sudden outburst but wisely chose to remain silent. Without a word, he started the engine and drove off. I looked at my trembling hands and felt a rush of anger replace the fear that had gripped me. As we approached the hotel entrance, I paid the driver and quickly made my way inside, avoiding eye contact with anyone. I was afraid that if I looked at someone, I might lose control and unleash my pent-up rage on them. My fury was building up inside me, rising from the pain I had kept hidden for so long.

Once in my room, I wasted no time. I undressed, turned on the cold water in the bathtub, and submerged my entire body, including my head, in the water. I needed to cool down and regain control; otherwise, I might snap and harm someone tonight. I held my breath, keeping my chest still.

After what felt like an eternity, I came up for air. My body was now cooled, but my anger had turned into a cold, seething rage. I couldn't help but regret my earlier passivity.

I am not a lamb.

I was never a lamb.

I am a huntress, a Viper, a feared deity of death. 

Poison courses through my veins instead of my blood. Every soul should tremble before me, for I am to be feared above all else.

And I despised myself for having acted like a frightened, whimpering child. I longed to unleash a scream, to roar with anger, but I could not.

I live in a society where acting normal is a necessity.

The spot where that bastard had touched me began to itch and burn. I scrubbed my skin vigorously with a loofah, but the unpleasant sensation wouldn't go away.

I scrubbed even harder until my olive-toned skin turned a painful shade of pink. Tears welled up in my eyes as I clenched them shut, and in my mind's eye, I saw little Kaya crying hysterically in my heart. She was furious with me, asking why I hadn't done something and why I hadn't stopped them from tarnishing her with that vile word, "whore."

I made a heartfelt promise to her

The next time, when I saw those wretches, I would rip their tongues from their mouths and claw their windpipes out of their throats.

Little Kaya gazed at me with uncertainty, and I knew I had to regain her trust.

I had to.

My eyes stung as tears streamed down my face, and I cried uncontrollably while I scrubbed soapy hands against them.

I couldn't tell how long I had spent crying, but eventually, I managed to calm down after spending a significant amount of time in the bath.

I finished cleaning myself in the shower and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I saw a beautiful woman celebrating the last two days of her twenties. Her eyelids were red and swollen, and the whites of her eyes had turned crimson from crying.