46.

omniscient, the final chapter

when kaia and arthur davis, a black newly wedded texan couple from el paso, discovered that they would soon be with child - they panicked.

the only thing that the two of them planned to take care of together were the litter of american curl cats kaia's uncle gave to them after the man found them abandoned in a box.

and to them, taking care of cats would be simple.

make sure their bowls are filled with food, their litter box is changed when it needs to be, and give them the occasional affection they desire when they desire it. easy.

but a child, on the other hand? the pair were always in agreement on children being.. difficult.

they required a lot more attention and work than cats did. something they had always been aware of and something that leaned them away from the idea of wanting them.

besides they were practically 4 years older than being children themselves! and they were in the middle of working towards medical degrees at that!

they had dreams, plans, aspirations..

kaia had been dreaming to travel the world since was a little girl and arthur always thought he'd be one of the very few people to succeed in climbing the mountain, k2.

to them, the idea of doing all that with a child following behind them seemed like a ridiculous one.

they cringed to themselves as they imagine the looks on other hikers faces as they'd climb k2, a infant in the arms.

"the clinic," kaia said aloud once she caught a glimpse of the plus sign in the stick's window. "we have to go right now." she told her husband, walking out the bathroom.

"so wait," arthur followed after her, "it's positive?"

"what part of 'the clinic' don't you get?" she glanced back at him in annoyance. "go find your keys,"

"i think we need to talk first."

"ain't shit to talk about." she told him, "we're not doing this."

"you right, we not." arthur crossed his arms over his chest. "not until we talk about it."

kaia clutched her jacket in her hands, and squinted her eyes at his words. "i don't have to talk about a baby i don't want."

"i don't want it either."

"so what are we taking about, arthur? we both don't wanna go through with it so us talking about how much we don't wanna do it, makes no sense. like, zero.."

in the small apartment they had no choice but to settle with months prior, the couple stared at each other without a word spoken.

and kaia thought it was so stupid.

she even scoffed to herself at the situation.

staring at each other was useless and definitely wouldn't play a part in getting rid of the baby it was clear they both didn't want.