Chapter I | After a Decade.

Important Note | This is the first chapter, and the book is thrown out into the present time of 2023, when the main character, Elijah, is 38.

Starting from the third chapter, he will be aged 25 throughout the whole story.

Happy readings.

______________________________

—"I never believed that beauty could exist in self destruction. 

Then I saw you. 

And your eyes told stories with dangerous beginnings and lost endings, where every page was breathing with color. 

Yet, you were beautiful to me."—

—Nicole Torres.

______________________________

            A N O N Y M O U S 

_____________________________

—Takes place on January 20, 2023.

One, two, three.

My heart was racing, and I swear that my breathing stopped the moment I saw the enormous building that was far too closed off from the public eye, the building I was assigned to go to, dared to arrive too. A fully armed detective agency building. That was the place I stood in front of. Even the taxi driver that dropped me off at the location flickered his gaze in my direction oddly and quote on a quote said, 

"What would someone like you be doing here? A little girl." In this Southern Texas accent, the accent belonged to most of the bad guys in the films. Which made me tense up even more momentarily, not uttering another word as the simple, edgy voice of the Southern man made me want to make a beeline to the agency and yell for help.

But sadly, not all dreams come true.

And ladies and gentlemen, that's one way to explain how nervous I was.

I started counting to ten because it always helped me calm down in these types of situations, difficult ones like this... But for some odd reason. I didn't even know why I wanted and preferred to do this experiment on someone who had a mental illness. And what was more fascinating was the fact that this person achieved much more in life than I did. Even though they suffered more than I did, it didn't matter didn't it?

My fists clenched with anxiety as I held my breath, a distinct file inside of my hands. What if he didn't want to do this, It was hard and difficult to bring back all of those long-lost memories. And to bring back the fact that he almost died.

I counted one last time and started walking to the enormous building of success for undercover agents, detectives, and desk-working police who ate the doughnuts they loved, of course with a side treat of coffee. I held onto the latches, or should I say straps on my side bag that took in most of my equipment for this project. My steps were rather fast but slowed down when I arrived at the steps, and two soldiers with guns were protecting the property. They didn't even look at me and I was relieved enough for that. But they did stop me, of course. Asking for my Identification.

I didn't speak up just yet and handed over my ID. Both guards scrunched their facial features in utter confusion. They perplexed their vision towards me and back at the Identification in their hold once more. "What brings someone like you here?" One of them asked, raising an eyebrow as they suppressed their thoughts onto me. My back tensed up and straightened. I couldn't tame the fact that I was a nervous wreck every passing second. To answer all of their questions, I opened my bag and passed the folder to them momentarily, the boots underneath my soles clinking inside the pavement.