Chapter 13 - First Match

Restless nerves held me captive in the waiting room. A small TV flickered in the corner, showcasing the ongoing final matches. Midoriya was locked in a fierce battle against a student from general studies, Shinsou. I couldn't find it in me to concentrate on the screen, my heart raced too fast for that. Suddenly, a knock on the door disrupted my thoughts. The knob turned, revealing a familiar blonde figure.

"Hey..." Denki's voice trailed off as he entered, gently shutting the door behind him. Silence filled the room, the only sound being the low murmur from the TV. I kept my eyes fixed on him, waiting for him to continue speaking. But he remained silent. Slowly, he moved closer to me, settling into the chair next to mine. My gaze remained locked on him, observing his every move. As he took a seat, his eyes remained focused on the floor. The room felt charged with unspoken tension.

My words seemed to break the silence, and I couldn't help but blurt out the question that had been on my mind. "Is everything okay?" I asked, the words spilling out before I even realized it. Denki's gaze lifted from the floor to meet mine, and his eyes locked onto me.

He averted his gaze as swiftly as he had met mine, his response carrying a sense of tension. "I can't believe we're going against each other in the first round," he said, his voice tinged with frustration.

His words hit me harder than I expected, and a wave of unease washed over me. I shifted uncomfortably in my chair, my eyes finding solace in the floor as my mind raced to find the right thing to say.

"Yeah, it's... unexpected," I managed to reply, my voice soft and uncertain. I stole a glance at Denki, trying to gauge his emotions. His brows were slightly furrowed, and his fingers fidgeted with the edge of his jacket. It was clear that he was grappling with something beyond the upcoming match. "But I guess that's how these tournaments go sometimes, right?"

Denki let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping a little. "Yeah, I guess you're right. Just feels a bit strange, you know? I mean, we've trained together, spent time goofing around, and now we're here." He paused, his expression conflicted. "We're friends, and now we're opponents."

I nodded, my gaze still fixed on the floor. "It's just a competition, though. Once it's over, we'll still be friends."

He sighed, his shoulders visibly relaxing a bit. "You're right. I shouldn't be taking this too seriously. It's just a chance to show off our skills, I guess."

A moment of silence hung in the air, the tension between us gradually easing. I dared a glance at him and found him looking back, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. It was a reassuring sight.

"Hey, no matter what," I said, my voice steady, "let's just do our best out there."

Denki nodded, his determination apparent. "Absolutely. And may the best hero win."

I chuckled again, feeling a renewed sense of comfort in his presence. "And I'm planning on it!"

Denki's laughter rang out, and he pushed himself up from his chair, heading toward the door. "I guess it's time for me to start getting ready too," he remarked, his hand on the doorknob. He paused halfway out, turning to me with a small smile. "But hey, just so you know, I'm rooting for you." He stepped out of the waiting room, closing the door behind him.

I sat there for a moment, a mix of emotions swirling within me. It was strange how Denki's presence could both calm my nerves and stir up a storm of feelings. I turned my attention back to the TV, where the match between Midoriya and Shinsou was reaching its end. Despite my efforts, I couldn't concentrate on the fight unfolding on the screen. My mind kept drifting back to the upcoming match against Denki. As the minutes ticked by, I found myself lost in my own thoughts. The anticipation was building, and I knew that soon it would be my turn to step onto the arena. I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart. The waiting room felt both suffocating and electrifying, a space where dreams and fears collided. Finally, a staff member entered the room, announcing that my match was up next and would be starting soon. My stomach twisted into knots, and I stood up, feeling a rush of nervous energy. I glanced at the TV one more time, knowing that it would soon be my turn to be on that screen.