Chapter 22 - Surprise hangout

Wednesday morning arrived quickly, and my mind still felt hazy from two days of missed school. At 6:50 AM, my alarm jolted me awake, and the cozy cocoon of blankets I was nestled in felt too comfortable to leave. I stayed in bed for a few moments, letting my drowsy mind align with the world, before untangling myself from the cozy embrace of my blankets. The comforting warmth left my body, replaced by the chill of the room's air, causing goosebumps to spread across my skin. My feet met the chilly floor as I shuffled to the bathroom to start my usual morning routine.

I twisted the shower knob, and the cold water snapped me out of my half asleep state in an instant. Once I was done in the shower, I shuffled back to my room and threw on my school uniform. It had been almost two weeks since I'd last worn it, so it felt kinda weird getting back into the routine of school again. I swiftly packed my backpack with everything I'd need for the day and headed downstairs. I had about twenty minutes left before I had to take off, and my stomach was rumbling loudly. Making my way towards the fridge to look for something to eat.

I found some leftover pizza from last night and decided that it would make a perfect quick breakfast. I popped a slice into the microwave and set it for a minute, the smell of the warm pizza filled the kitchen. The microwave beeped, signaling that my pizza was ready. I grabbed the plate and headed to the dining table, taking a seat and savoring each bite. It might not have been the healthiest breakfast, but goddamn is it good. As I finished my meal, I glanced at the clock and realized it was time to go. I quickly gathered my things and headed out the door.

I noticed a blond-haired boy approaching me with a wide grin on his face. As he got closer, I couldn't help asking, "What's got you in such a good mood?"

He chuckled, energy practically radiating from him. "Well, it's a beautiful day, and I'm about to see my favorite person," he said with a playful wink. "Why wouldn't I be happy?"

"You're too much sometimes," I replied, playfully rolling my eyes.

Denki fell into step beside me as we started walking towards school. "So, how are you feeling today? Ready to go back to school?"

I nodded, feeling a bit of excitement mixed with nervousness about returning to school after my short leave. "Yeah, I think I'm ready. Besides, it's good to get back into the routine."

Denki nodded in agreement. "Yeah, routine is important, but sometimes, breaking it can be a nice change. Speaking of which, I've got something fun planned for us this weekend."

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Oh, really? What's the plan?"

He flashed me a mischievous smile. "I'm not telling you just yet. It's a surprise!"

I couldn't help but be curious about what he was planning. "Oh god. Something tells me I should be worried."

Denki chuckled at my playful concern. "Nah, nothing to worry about. Just be ready for the bestest date ever."

I laughed, feeling comfort in his easy going mood. "Alright, I guess I'll have to wait to find out."

We continued our walk to school, making light banter along the way. The morning sun lighting the streets in a warm glow, and with each step, my worries about returning to school leaving. As we neared the school, the day went on just like any other normal day. Classes felt like they were moving at a snail's pace, and the pile of makeup work grew with every passing class. While some of my teachers showed me sympathy for my recent incident, it didn't stop them from piling on assignments as if I hadn't missed a few days of school.

The first four classes of the day dragged on like they had no end in sight. But finally, it was lunchtime. I didn't have the patience to stand in the long lunch line, so I just headed straight to our usual table. I plopped down and looked around but didn't see Jiro or Yaomomo. After a couple of minutes, though, I sensed their presence as they took their seats.