Prologue.

"Hera, are you certain? Are you sure this is the solution?" Demeter questioned, her hands securely folded over her heart.

"Yes. Our only hope of thwarting Gaia's inevitable awakening is to unite the two camps," Hera stated resolutely. "Separating your two girls is necessary. The Roman girl will go to Camp Half-Blood, while the Greek one will go to Camp Jupiter. With any luck, their twin connection will be strong enough to help forge a powerful partnership."

"I... Very well."

- - -

"Sister, our plan is taking too long to complete," Hera said. "The link between your daughters has shown to be strong, but insufficient to be successful. We need to act with greater force."

"What do you mean?" Demeter enquired, her eyes clouded with worry.

"We need to organize another, more significant exchange."

"Carry on."

"We shall exchange two camp leaders. It's our only option."

"Percy Jackson and Jason Grace?"

"Yes."

Demeter's eyes darkened as she gazed at her sister with resentment.

"So my daughters might have been able to grow up together ? They could have lived alongside their father?"

Hera's eyes showed no glimmer of remorse.

"They've been apart since birth to fulfil your unlikely plan, and now you tell me it was completely meaningless for them to be apart?"

"No, it wasn't."

"It wasn't?"

"No. It has become obvious to me from seeing the behaviours in the two camps that a more forceful exchange is the unquestionable solution," Hera stated, a strong glint of pride visible in her eyes. 

Demeter's warm eyes were filled with disappointment and betrayal. 

"So my daughters served as your guinea pigs."

Hera watched her sister pinch her lips, attempting to hide her emotions.

"Perhaps."

Then, without another word, the goddess of marriage left her sister, alone with her guilt and her pain.