✽.✫☽ 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟽☾✫.✽

(Unedited)
Word count: 3481
{Listen while you read?~I recommend Bound and Determined by Nick Shoulders}

☽✫.✽✦✽.»»--⍟--««.✽✦✽.✫☾

As Dixie made her way to the Armadillo train station, she noticed Rusty watching her from the porch of the saloon. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she guided her horse down the dusty road. Rusty's curiosity got the better of him, and he decided to join her on the walk, his steps falling in sync with the horse.

"So, Dixie," Rusty began looking at the woman in the saddle, his voice laced with intrigue. "What have you been up to all these years? After Jesse, I mean."

Dixie glanced down at at Rusty, her gaze thoughtful. She chose her words carefully, wanting to protect the memories she held close to her heart. "Well, after Jesse... life took me on quite a journey," she replied, her tone a mixture of nostalgia and resilience. "I spent some time with my father, here helping him run the robbers and bandits out of town or throwing them behind bars. And then there was Bonnie, a dear friend who became like a sister to me. We had some adventures together, faced a fair share of trouble."

Rusty's curiosity persisted, his eyes searching for more. "Adventures, huh? I bet there's plenty to tell. Any particular stories you'd like to share?"

Dixie felt a pang in her chest, the weight of unspoken memories threatening to spill over. She evaded Rusty's question, not yet ready to speak about the love she had
with John. "Oh, just a few small shootouts here and there," she replied, her voice tinged with the hint of a smile. "Nothing too exciting, really."

Their conversation continued as they reached the train station. Dixie tied her horse to a post, and after dismounting with small sharp inhales from her injuries, together they entered the small building that housed the post office. The air inside was still and quiet, save for the sound of shuffling papers and the occasional conversation.

Dixie approached the counter, her eyes scanning the rows of neatly organized mailboxes. As she reached her hand forward to retrieve her mail, she noticed a familiar handwriting on one of the envelopes. It was Jesse's sister, Renee.

Excitement and a touch of apprehension coursed through Dixie's veins. She broke the seal and unfolded the letter, her eyes scanning the words that spilled across the page. Memories of Jesse flooded her mind, and she couldn't help but smile and shed a tear as she read Renee's message.

"Dear Dixie Gold Johnson,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits, despite the weight of sorrow that has burdened your heart for far too long. I write this letter on behalf of Jesse, your beloved fiancé whose life was tragically taken away from us all those years ago. I write to you today with news that will both soothe and stir emotions within you.

After a relentless two-year struggle, the mines that have unfairly held Jesse and his fellow miners are finally yielding to our unwavering determination. We have tirelessly worked to break through the collapsed entrance that trapped their bodies, denying them the dignity of a proper resting place. In just five days' time from the receipt of this letter, we will finally lay them to rest, bringing them home to their families and providing them with the peace they deserve.

Jesse, as you know, was not only your betrothed but also your one true love. His memory lives on in your steadfast heart, and I am well aware of the sacred bond you share. The pain you have endured, compounded by the callousness of those bandits who revelled in their vile deeds, is an anguish no words can fully express.