Chapter 20

THE UNIVERSE PUNISHED YOU

“...So I got wasted like all my potential,
And my words shoot to kill when I'm mad,
I have a lot of regrets about that...”

The music is interrupted by a ringtone blaring through my headphones. I reach for my phone on the bedside table and pick it up to see Ankita's name on the screen. I try to think of a reason why she is calling me on a Saturday morning, but unable to figure it out, I decide to take the call.

'Hey,' I hear Ankita's voice on the other end of the line and she sounds a bit, nervous.

'Hey.'

'How are you doing?', with that question, I already know why she called me up.

'I'm good,' I reply, casually.

'You sure?'

'Yeah.'

'You wanna do any sleepover kinda stuff? Like a girl's night or something?'

'Meera suggested that too but I have plans with my parents tonight.'

'Okay. Well, if you need anything, you can ring u-up anytime. Bye.'

'K. Bye,' I say and she hangs up. The conversation was a lot shorter than any others that we've had in the past but I shrug it off and roll onto my stomach, my body now positioned in the middle of my pink bed.

The song continues to play and I can't help but zone out, thinking of what happened yesterday. Today morning there was a video being circulated in our unofficial school group which had managed to capture my arguments with Utkarsh in the corridor. Someone even made a meme of the part where I say "I'm done" and posted it on Insta reels.

Barely an hour later the reel was taken down but everyone at our school had most likely, already seen it. I pick up my phone again to check the time and my eyes widen.

11.15 am.

'Oh, shit,' I say and spring up from my bed whilst switching off my headphones and throwing them over the comforter.

When I realise I just cursed, I clutch my forehead, 'Shit- Oh NO! I did it again-'

I shake my head, take a deep breath in and let it out. A little calmer I proceed to rush through my wardrobe to pick a shirt and pants 'cause I have an extra Maths tuition to attend which starts in exactly 15 minutes.

***

I can't thank my luck enough today. My Maths tutor's mood was good so he didn't scold me for arriving twenty minutes late.

Even though I've been avoiding talking to Sreyansh and Meera face-to-face since yesterday's incident, I had to sit in the last row next to Sreyansh because all the seats in the front were taken.