Chapter 08

THE CHATTERING OF students in the fields is faintly audible when one hides in the corner of a random classroom, trying to avoid prying, judgemental eyes

When girls started pouring inside the washroom, each and every one of them was looking in my direction as I splashed some water on my face. I waited in a cubicle until there was pin-drop silence and quietly made my way to my empty classroom.

I'm quietly drawing doodles in a notebook while others are enjoying lunch with their friends. I did go to the canteen with my lunch box but I heard a few girls standing near the doorway, talking about the incident which involved me getting yelled at by my class teacher, and I immediately walked away.

I look towards my lunch box but the lump in my throat makes itself known when I think about eating so I go back to doodling again. I know for a fact that everyone is going to talk about this for two weeks or more 'cause it's Shweta Roy after all, the girl with a clean record who got scolded for bunking classes.

'Ahem', someone clears his throat and I look up, take a glance at the door and look down at the messy pages again. 'What are you doing here? Everyone's looking for you, including your boyfriend...', Sreyansh says emphasising the last word but I don't feel like replying so I don't.

I hear him approaching me and he sits down on the chair next to mine. When I don't say a word, Sreyansh snatches the notebook away from me, making me glare at him.

'Give it back!'

'Didn't know you drew Mandalas so well Shway', Sreyansh says looking at my messy doodles as if they are some art pieces in a museum.

'Because they are a mess, just like me,' I try to reach for the spiral binding but he gets up and starts waving it in the air. He's a few inches taller than me and knows pretty well I can't reach for the notebook anymore.

Instead of standing up and trying to retrieve my property, I cross my arms and look out the window. A few minutes pass and he sits back down again to open my lunch box. 'Fruit custard? This is all you eat for lunch?', Sreyansh asks, perplexed.

'I have my lunch, then come to school. That's my snack. Eat it if you want, I'm not hungry.'

Shamelessly he takes a spoonful in his mouth and savours the taste. Then, he takes another scoop and points it in my direction, saying, 'For our friendship?'

I take the offer and suddenly have the urge to eat again. I open my mouth for another spoon but Sreyansh says teasingly, 'You said you weren't hungry~'

'Now I am! Gimme!', I whine like a child and he scoops out some more and I gratefully eat it. Once, he's finished spoon-feeding me like a baby, Sreyansh closes the tiffin box and hands me my handkerchief that was lying neatly on my desk. I wipe off some custard from my lips when he asks, 'Were you sad about Susmita Ma'am?'

'More concerned about the rumours now...', I speak honestly and my face falls. The rumours and murmurs are the worst part about getting involved in an incident which could harm your reputation. The more scandalous the incident, the faster the rumours spread and people keep adding their own take on the situation as it keeps being passed around.

'Leave them. Ignore them. Avoid them. People always talk but that doesn't mean you have to listen. I know it feels bad when people talk of something you did, which you in reality never even thought of doing...', he ends his advice on a sad note and I ask, 'Are you referring to how everyone was talking about you proposing Arushi when in reality it was the opposite?'

'Yep. Even my father heard it and gave me a long lecture about it but later he believed me when Arushi's friend tried to defend me. That was quite the ruckus last year,' he said and started laughing.

'But it doesn't even matter, now that the talk has died down. Don't worry, in a week probably people will have a new topic to talk about and if they don't, we are here to support you,' he says and smiles.

'Thank you, Srey.'

'You're welcome, Shway. By the way-', Sreyansh gets cut off by a relieved voice belonging to none other than Meera, 'There you are!'

***

'Why's she being such a bit-'

'Utkarsh!', I interrupt before he could swear and Sreyansh speaks up, 'Dude, Susmita ma'am is her favourite teacher.'

'Sorry, but what she did is definitely not fair. You okay now?', Utkarsh asks in a more polite manner as he wraps an arm around me, pulling me closer to him. 'Yeah. I'm better now,' I say and look up at Sreyansh who looks the other way.

'I gotta go. Chemistry tuition starts early, so I have to rush', I speak as I pull away from him. 'Yeah, we gotta go,' Sreyansh says with a sigh.

'What are you tired of? The tuition is at your own home,' I glare at Sreyansh who gives me a goofy smile to irritate me further but before I can say anything, Utkarsh makes an offer, 'I could drop you off on my bike.'

'I- What? Really?'

'Yeah.'

'That's really sweet but I'd prefer to walk. Thanks for the offer.'

'No problem', Utkarsh kisses me on the forehead and I proceed to walk with Sreyansh to his home. 'Why did you reject his offer? You hate walking,' Sreyansh suddenly asks breaking the silence between us.

'I hate riding on someone's bike more. I hate bikes- get unbalanced once and topple down the road. Plus you collect so much dust and-'

Sreyansh interrupts me by saying, 'Yeah, yeah I know. But it was your handsome boyfriend asking you to take a ride with him.'

'I'd prefer walking with you,' I say and blood rushes to my cheeks when I realise what I said but Sreyansh simply smiles and says, 'I'm honoured.'

  And we silently walk to his home.

***

A short chapter but don't worry,
lots of stuff coming up next
;)

Until then if you like this book,
you can support my writing by Voting and Sharing this book with your friends/followers !