Chapter 18

I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE

'This pastry's delicious,' I say and take another bite.

'I knew you'd like it,' Utkarsh replies. He bought me a chocolate pastry despite me warning him, beforehand that I'm not allowed to eat from the school canteen. I guess it's safe to break a few rules from, time to time. Besides, there's no way my parents will get to know about this.

As soon as I finish eating my pastry, Utkarsh speaks up, 'What's he doing with Kriti?'

I follow his eyes to spot Sreyansh standing at the threshold of the canteen door, talking to Kriti and suddenly, they both burst out laughing. Kriti places a hand on Sreyansh's arm to balance herself so she doesn't fall down the stairs while laughing so hard.

The latter would be better.

Staring at them, I remember the plan Sreyansh and I came up with. He was going to engage Kriti in a conversation and take her to a first-floor classroom which would be empty during lunch break, and I'd follow them to the room to interrogate her about the wish she made to her Guardian Witch.

I turn my gaze back to Utkarsh who is still staring at Kriti and Sreyansh, seriousness on his face.

'I have to go,' I tell him as Sreyansh and Kriti start walking towards the stairs to the first floor. 'Go where?' Utkarsh asks, looking at me.

I get up and push my chair back into place.

'I've got some questions to finish before- eh- English class next period,' I reply, mentally scolding myself for getting nervous all of a sudden.

Why am I so bad at lying?

'I can come along. Help you, you know,' he suggests.

'Isn't it always the other way around?' I say, trying to hold back my laughter as he looks at me innocently, like a puppy.

'You'd distract me anyways. Why don't you go catch up with your friends?' I suggest and he gives in. I grab my water bottle and head towards the stairs and out of the cafeteria. As soon as I see Utkarsh turn his attention to his friends, I run for the stairs to the first floor.

I turn the corner on my right and find Sreyansh and Kriti conversing in the middle of an empty classroom. And he's- flirting?

Kriti's seated in the middle row with Sreyansh right in front of her, with his chair turned towards her. She's listening to his jokes so intently, resting her head on her right hand that is bent on the table.

For a moment I'm overcome by a weird feeling. I shrug it off and clear my voice making my presence known in the room.

'What are you doing here?' Kriti asks with utter disdain on her face. 'Sabotaging you,' I state as I sit down on the chair next to hers.