Chapter 21:: Incoming Problems

"May I ask why you all invaded my bedroom?" Nisha sighed at the bunch of people. Atif, Ajay and Wahi sat on the floor while the kids were on the bed with Priti. Kabir sat on her working chair, circling on it and smiling at her while Shams was checking the curtains. 

"What a mess..." She sighed, sitting on her table, glancing at Kabir in front of her. 
He turned towards her, "You sat on the table?" 
"Is there any other place for me to sit?" 
"You can sit here." He pointed at his lap as her eyes widened.
"The heck?! What do you mean—"
"I'll get up and join them then you can sit." He spoke as her face straightened.

Oh.

What was she thinking?

"Um, no need to." She spoke, looking away and gulped. Her palms were tingling due to the weight of her own words sinking into her chest. 
"Why do you look so uncomfortable though?" He asked, eyeing her from head to toe. She shook her head.

His lips parted to say something but he didn't, looking away instead.

She'd be hella embarrassed if he cracked her thoughts. 

"This is cute." He pointed towards her mini drawer as she smiled, "Oh? This is my favourite part of my working desk." 
"You can see it if you want." She said as he smiled, "Are you sure about that?" 
"Your look makes me wanna take back my words." 

He shook his head adorably and smiled, tracing the tiny drawer. 
"Can I open it?" 
"Sure, not like it has gold." She rolled her eyes, pretending to be unbothered and glanced at him smiling at the little accessories inside.
"Is this really your work table?" He asked. 

"So what if there's a little jewellery on it?" 
"That's uncanny. You seem too serious about work to have a tiny jewellery box beside your working desk, must like jewellery a lot." He whispered to himself as she watched him stare at a pair of earrings. He kept it inside and opened another drawer.

He took out the silver chain, checking it properly before looking at her.

She inspected the chain and realized it was from the mall.

Shit, she forgot to return it due to all the incoming mess.

"Where did you get this?" He asked, a deep furrow forming between his brows.
"Oh my! I forgot about this. When we went to shop for Priti's wedding, someone bumped into me and dropped this. I gave it to Priti to send it to the lost and found of the mall but it was closed so they brought it home. I thought of returning it but completely forgot! Thanks for reminding me." She tried to take it away from him but he held it firmly, making her frown.

"What? Don't tell me you want this now." 

"This is mine." He spoke, looking at her blankly.
"Huh?" Her eyes widened as he continued, "Was it a day before the invitation to your house?" 

She nodded as he let out a soft breath, "Look. There's a 'K' carved in it." 
"But... why is your locket—"
"After returning, I rushed to the mall and bumped into someone but I was in a hurry so I didn't notice that my locket fell. When I realized and went to search, it wasn't there. I contacted the lost and found several days afterwards but found no updates. I thought I lost it for real... can't believe it was so close." He smiled a little, disbelief evident in his eyes.

She stared at the locket, "That's... crazy." 

The memory of the man's back flashed in her mind. 

"This is..."
"Fate." He relaxed on her chair, smiling widely at her. 
"You're not distressed?" 
"I lost hope of it before. But I feel rather glad knowing it's been with you all along."