Chapter 6:: The Fluttering Heart

"Of course." Nisha smiled at Sham's mother who reciprocated warmheartedly, "I'm glad you all enjoyed it here." 
"We fixed the mehndi date. Do send the girls over, if you could come, it'd be better!" Nisha listened to her mother who was speaking to Sham's mother. 
She greeted the others and smiled at Shams who shyly greeted her father. She could see how nervous he seemed. 

"Bye!" Atif waved at her as she smiled, "See you guys." 
Ajay and Wahi nodded with a smile. Beside them stood near Kabir, with a casual look. He raised his brows in a playful manner to which she replied with a polite smile, "See you." 
"Yeah..." He muttered, his gaze roaming around her face gently.

His mother spoke, "It was so nice to see you. You're adorable!" 
"Thank you, Aunty." Nisha chuckled, blush coating her cheeks. Kabir watched his mother compliment Nisha and looked away, containing a smile. 

His mother loved giving people compliments and when it was about helpful girls like Nisha, she would go crazy happy. 

Nisha gave him a final awkward look, her gaze moving from his face to the middle of his chest, focused on the button of his panjabi. She moved away quickly, rushed outside by her parents as Kabir let out a shaky breath, touching the button her gaze was fixated on a while ago.

The incident from an hour ago resurfaced at the back of his head, causing an unexpected stir within his chest.

Atif gave him a strange look, "Are you having a heart attack?" 
Getting no response, he walked outside with the others leaving a thoughtful Kabir. Only he'd know if it was a heart attack or not. 

—Time skip—

"Seriously?" Priti asked as Nisha nodded, "Of course, what else?" 
She rested her head on the bed, fixing the sheet mask on her face and continued, "That Kabir seriously holds grudges against me, I'm telling you."
"I remember him from years ago, he wasn't quite like that."
"People change, Priti-pi," Nisha spoke. 

"You, though, always were a nerd and still are one." Priti scoffed. 
"Shut up! I'm a high achiever. Phrase it nicely." 
"Whatever." Nisha rolled her eyes at her sister's remarks, "Now leave the room. Let me rest in peace." 

Hearing the door of her room close, she heaved out a tired sigh. 

Her mind would usually be clouded with work-related stuff in such a relaxed situation. But right now, her mind was filled with thoughts of her sister's weddings. 
She was delighted yet tensed, praying that it all went well.

That was when her mind returned to the incident of today. That moment when her hand accidentally brushed Kabir's panjabi and her bracelet got stuck on his button, made her feel queasy. 

The heat of his body radiating towards her, the intensity of his gaze, her shaky hands trying to detangle the bracelet. It all rushed into her mind. 

In invitations, despite the crowd, there was never a moment where she accidentally got her bracelet tangled with someone's button. Until today. 

Her closed eyes fluttered open as Kabir's face flashed into her mind, and she felt a pressure in her chest. 

She pressed her palms tentatively on her chest, feeling her loud heartbeats. As confusing as it seemed, she gulped, letting it go and shook her head. 

"Never mind, I'm overthinking." She touched her mask, feeling unbearably hot. The air conditioner wasn't turned on, yet she felt strange chills all over her body. 
"He's a serious bother... no way that's the reason for my loud heartbeat or chills, whatsoever." Nisha convinced herself, taking off her sheet mask quickly and discarding it. She pulled the duvet over her and shut her eyes, attempting to sleep.