Chapter 12:: Unexpected Closures

Nisha lost track of time, which was very unusual.

She was usually very conscious about her sleeping schedule but tonight seemed like the 'one in a million' day. 
A chuckle escaped her lips as she typed on her phone, hitting the send button.

She looked at the time, her chuckle dying. It was past two a.m. 
"Oh no." She whispered, glancing at the phone to see the 'Typing...' resurfacing.

Almost over an hour ago when she had received a request from Kabir, she didn't know what to do other than accept it. She sent him a follow request back and within moments, got his first text. 
She hesitated but was rather relieved once she replied.

He was talking to her about the wedding affairs of Priti and Shams. He had some plans in mind and also warned her that they'd fail to steal Shams's shoes. 
She replied with 'Old traditions never die. We'll pass, Mr Expeditious.' to get a reply with an '🤨' emoji. 

It was awkward for Nisha as they had no topics to talk about. She'd love to likezone him and get back to sleep but maybe her life had other plans. 
Because they found funny topics. From going to Priti and Shams's wedding to talking about their parents' wedding. 

And Kabir kept adding stuff that made it funnier for her. 

nisha00: Seriously? Your parents had a love marriage? 

kabir_95: Yeah, I'm not joking. They're beside me, want proof? 

nisha00: Aren't you at Shams's house? 

kabir_95: Nope. Maa was fussing about it so I returned. 

nisha00: Of course, which mom lets their son stay at another house for days?

kabir_95: I wish mine did. 

nisha00: Your mother wants you. Be grateful she isn't happy you're away. Atif, Ajay and Wahi's mother always tell Shams's mother how happy they are not to have their sons around. 

kabir_95: I don't know if I should laugh or feel bad for them. 

nisha00: 🤪Be grateful, sir. 

kabir_95: When do you usually sleep? 

nisha00: Usually before 12:30. 

kabir_95: It's past your bedtime then. Why are you awake? 

nisha00: Asks the reason. 

kabir_95: Shall I be flattered you're sacrificing your sleep to talk to me? 

Nisha let out a scoff re-reading the text. 
"Why am I even talking to him?" She sighed. It wasn't until then that she realized how off-topic their conversations were. Not about Shams or Priti, just themselves. Or pointless things. 
Anything worked. 

They jumped from one topic to another at the speed of light. 

She stared at the screen, wondering what to say. Her mother's words replayed in the back of her head, ruining the mood Kabir had fixed temporarily. 
Talking to him got her mind off certain things but having them resurface again wasn't an ideal situation. 
Her fingers tentatively worked to type in an uncertain text.

nisha00: I'll go to sleep then. Bye. 

kabir_95: Wait!
kabir_95: Okay, well. Then, goodnight. See you at their wedding. 🦋💌

Nisha checked his text from her notification and turned off the phone. Seenzoning him didn't seem right anymore.
"Did I talk too much?" She asked herself, nibbling on her bottom lips.

She wanted to associate better with Kabir. He didn't make her uncomfortable or strange. Even though he was older, he didn't feel that distant. 

Like everyone else, he seemed accepting towards Nisha in their squad like Priti had always told her.