Chapter 3:: Synchronized Rhythms

"I studied in the States for four years then researched, and took part in activities, seminars and internships for a year and a half. Now I shifted to the country to work with a successful portfolio and enough funds." Kabir spoke as Nisha nodded. 

Despite Nisha concluding Kabir was strange and tore her flowers, she was chatting with him.

More like—he was chatting with her.

He kept on asking questions and Nisha kept on answering, occasionally asking a few as well. She found it awkward at first, she wasn't quite the social one. 
"Quite curious about one thing though." He cleared his throat as Nisha stared at him. Both of them were leaning against the wall and somehow, it didn't feel that weird. 
Maybe because it was a natural occurrence. 

"Well, do you usually act like that or just... today?" She knew well what he meant. She looked at him, playing dumb. The blazing eyes stared into hers, curiosity evident in them.

Her eyes wavered as she spoke, "Today was a misunderstanding. That's all." 
"That means it's habitual. Interesting." He spoke, raising his brows. 
"What?!" Nisha asked, offended. Kabir chuckled, "Take it easy woman. You're not the one who got called 'half-naked',
"Sure, grudge-holder," She murmured under her breath, unknown to the fact that Kabir gave her a side-eye hearing that.

"You're quite a woman." His statement made her roll her eyes slightly, "Of course I am."
She felt like Kabir gave her a long glance but didn't dare to look at her right and meet those eyes. Those confident eyes made her question herself.

"Well, Mr. Kabir, why did you pull that prank on everyone?" She asked. 
"For fun, of course." He shrugged, making her roll her eyes.
"If you'd have told everyone, you wouldn't get your ego bruised." She emphasized the word 'ego' as he looked at her, amusement dancing in his eyes. This time though, he did not look away. 

"Right, you are. I'm surprised you never saw my picture. For 10 years.." 
"5. I didn't know about it until 5 years ago." 
"That's also a looong time." He spoke. She thinned her lips, "You knew me, then?"
"Not really. Just heard from Shams occasionally." He excluded the part where he had seen her pictures. 
"You're one to talk then," Nisha spoke. His lips parted, wanting to say something but it soon died down.

"You have an answer for every statement." He spoke. 
"Born and raised in a country where your tongue is the ultimate weapon, you get it naturally," Nisha spoke making Kabir smile slightly.
"Feisty." 
She didn't respond but glanced at him, taking in some of his features. 

He had very detailed brows that nearly intersected in the middle. His eyes were tender and they reflected a deep shade that reminded her of a moonlit night. 

She never thought she'd analyze a Bengali man's face like that but here she was. 
"Are you 100% Bengali?" She asked. 
He raised a brow, "Am I that handsome you're questioning my nationality?"
"Did I say that?" She frowned.
"Yes, I am. I was born and raised here, like you. I only lived in the States for 6 years, that's all." 

She nodded, looking at anywhere but him. He was the feisty one here. 

"Nisha!" She got a call from her mother who was waving her hand at her. 
"Coming!" She said, locking eyes with Kabir once who watched her run away. Maybe it was her swift motion and the wave of her swaying hair but he got a whiff of her scent.
A slight floral scent with a fruity essence. And he kind of really liked it.

He watched her work with her mom and serve the guests. 

He noticed how she threw around a kind smile, chatting with everyone who called her. For a moment, he felt as if it was a fake show.