Chapter 17:: Mehendi & Moonlight

Nisha stared at the ladies in front of her hugging. Shams's eyes were on Priti's crying figure, looking sad. 
Priti and Shams together sought the greetings of the elders, hugging them as Priti cried. She wiped her tears with a tissue as their father patted her head.
He was holding back tears, everyone could see.

Nisha had barely seen her father cry. Maybe once in a decade. 

But seeing him cry right now made her realize that as fun as weddings could get, they'd always have a bittersweet ending.
Whereas Priti was happy she could establish a family full of love, she was also heartbroken to leave her parents.

That was the thing about desi families.

They grew up with a family, all packed and engaged unlike many other cultures and hence, a different bond would exist among them. Because, even though desi families came with a full package of toxicity, manipulation and certain aspects the foreign law would ban them for, there were beautiful little moments that always kept people together. 
And leaving them didn't feel the best.

Their father held Shams's hands and held back his tears, speaking, "Dear son, you're a part of our family now... please do take care of my daughter. She's worth more than diamonds for me. She's your responsibility now." 
Shams smiled warmly, nodding.
"I promise, father-in-law. I'll always take care of Priti... with whatever I have." 

Their mother hugged both of them as Shams's parents smiled, giving them their blessings. The youngsters joked around but eventually shared their warm wishes with the couple. 

Nisha opened her arms for Priti who smiled at her with glossy eyes.
"I'll miss you." She whispered, hugging her sister tightly who huffed, "Shut up. I know you won't. You'll be happy to use my things and roam around my room."
"It's only fun when you get mad at me for that." The younger one whispered back. 

As they pulled away, Nisha wiped her tears, looking away. 

Atif and Ajay brought in Priti's luggage, making everyone more emotional. 

"Ay, Kabir. Help us do this—" Atif's voice was interrupted by Kabir's shake of his head, "I have something more important to do." 
"What—" Ajay was about to ask but Kabir fled towards Nisha. 

He stood beside her, at a secluded corner, away from the rest of the people. 
Nisha glanced at him, not saying anything. 
"Need another tissue?" He asked. 
"Nope."

"Then, a hug?" 
"No." She frowned at him, inching farther away from him. He sighed, "Is it that sad to say goodbye?" 
"When a bride leaves the household, it's equal to losing a family member. You men won't understand how hard it must be..." 

He didn't speak further. 
"I've always thought women were exceptionally strong for adjusting to a new household, managing everything on their own and also taking care of so many people. Everyone seems heartbroken to let Priti go. But she's just in another house, she'll always be in her desired spot." Kabir smiled, tilting his head at the people.
She glanced at him, swallowing the lump in her throat.

Her gaze shifted to his forwarded hand, holding a tissue. 
"You do need it." He spoke. 
Without arguing, she took it and muttered a small 'thank you' to which he smiled. 

He inched closer to her, peeking at her face and whispered, "I thought you'd look very ugly with smudged mascara after an intense crying session."
"Huh?"
"I wonder why you look so pretty." He spoke, more to himself.

Her lips parted as she faced him, flustered. Backing away, he approached the others without any further chat.
Did he realize what he had said just now? 

She held her chest, blinking twice.
"I know I'm pretty but him saying that feels..." 

Delightful. Enchanting. Heartening.