32

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO AURELIA
"My little sweet girl." My father's cracking voice meets my ears and I almost cry.

I swallow my emotions down and try to put my brave mask on But I'm miserably failing, "You need to recover Dad, for yourself, for us." My voice ends on a sob and I try to stifle my sadness.

His expression is full of pain and agony, it wrecks me, but I have to say this, I need to, "Why would I? I'm an awful person, Aury, you're the only one who viewed me as her hero, and here I'm, disappointing you, a failure." His words are full of pain so so much, I inch to take it away.

"You're never a failure, if you try I'll be right with you, I'll even come back here to college and I'll work, two jobs, to afford the fees." I offer lightly, insisting on his recovery.

He smiles weakly, Dylan sits opposite of me, he barely spoke any words to Dad all day, I don't understand why, I mean I'm sure that they aren't close but to an extent,

"This is your chance dad, people barely survive overdosing, you're lucky that mom was there." I let out in a gentle tone not wanting to put more pressure on him but at the same time, I know that he needs to hear those words.

He blinks a couple of times, his warm smile spreading comfort through my body, then his eyes flit back to Dylan, "You're quiet, I want to hear you, son." He says in a calm tone,

My chest clenches, "I don't know what to say, I'm glad that you're okay." Dylan lets out after what seems like an eternity, my brows furrow in confusion on why he's treating him like that but I brush it off.

The last time I saw a real interaction between them was years ago, about four years before Dylan left for college, but this is even worse, he almost died, I don't understand a single thing.

Moments pass and a nurse strolls inside, "He needs to rest for a while." She offers sweetly and I force a smile in her direction before my eyes linger on my father, "You'll come again tonight, right?" He asks, my heart breaks and I nod over and over, smiling tearfully as I stand up then both Dylan and I exit the room.

"What was that?" I ask under my breath as we walk along the hospital's hallway, he curses, and rubs a hand all over his face "Look, it's always been tough, talking with him." He lets out, confusing me more.

"Why is that?" I ask again, not wanting to judge him because that's probably how he views my relationship with dear mother, he stops abruptly, and turns to me, his expression looking almost pained as his brows dim together.

"I think that mom engraved how shitty he is in my mind that it's just impossible to see past those thoughts." He admits, his eyes full of war, "What did she tell you?" I ask under my breath, clearing my throat as I stare at him for an answer.

"You know that their relationship isn't—stable right? He used to be a cheater and well, he's an addict and just doesn't care about anything anymore, only getting high or drunk." He breathes out all in one go.

My throat clamps down and I clear it, "I know, but Mother isn't a saint." I defend, she's far from it, she doesn't treat him well either, and I understand that it's maybe cause he wasn't great to her years ago but even when he tried to fix anything she never gave him a chance.

"I know I know." He mutters under his breath and rubs a hand all over his face, frustration and anger filling his features,

We'll probably spend the rest of the week in Florida, it's gonna be lovely.

*: ❦ *:

"Elias, no!" I almost yell into the phone, making sure the room is closed, "Yeah? You think your demands will stop me?" His voice holds no remorse, I pinch my eyes.

"Do you realize what you're saying, Elias? This is crazy." I repeat for the hundred's time probably, "It's crazy that I'll stay another fucking week without you." The way he's persistent about it almost comforts me, it's fucked up.

"Yeah? You think your father will be okay with the fact that you want to come over here?" I ask what I already thought of, "I don't give a fuck about him." He replies almost instantly.

Happiness evokes in my stomach at the fact that he's doing this, "What about the way my mother will treat you? She has no manners." I state, "I've survived worse." I can sense a hint of a smile in his words but mine falls when I realize what he's talking about.

"I'm taking tonight's flight." He rasps under his breath and a laugh slips from between my lips, "You're insane." I mutter, a smile stretching over my face, "Only for you, sweetheart." His tone lowers to a gentler level and it spreads a sense of security through my body.

We end the call moments later with a smile still spread over my face, I sigh, exhaustion fills my bones as I drop on the bed, a knock on the door startles me as my mother strolls inside with anger.

Confusion spreads through my body as I stare at her, waiting for an explanation, "Who the fuck were you talking to?" She snarls, approaching me with fast strides, and my face twists.

"My boyfriend." I choke out, worry filling my body, she then snatches the phone from my hand roughly and glares, "Your what?" She grits out, I stand up on instinct, following her as I try to pull the phone from her hand.

She backhands me, and I yelp, lips parting in shock as tears spring to my eyes, what the hell is she doing? She gets out of the room and snaps the lock, I bang on the door repeatedly, "What the fuck are you doing?" I yell.

"You thought that you'll come back and I'll let you treat me in that goddamn way, then you're wrong, you'll be locked up inside until you realize you're in the wrong." She yells and anger fills my bones.

"Mom!" I yell, continue banging on the door but her footsteps continue fading in the background, tears fall down my cheeks, and I slip down the floor, my back resting against the door, sobs rip raw from my throat.

She's insane, she must be, at some point my tears dry, and my throat clamps shut, and all the pain turns to hatred, I've never felt such resentment towards anyone before,

Dylan will come around and realize that I'm locked up, right?

The possibility of staying like this till tomorrow is sickening, but at some point, I give in to the exhaustion and my eyes flutter close,

A vote is really appreciated.

Hate her mother.