ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ - 31

Alex

Time ticks away in the clock, each second adding to the turmoil within me.

An hour, that's all it's been since Joanna left for the supposed work thing.

Yet, the doubts and fears continue to gnaw at my mind, growing like a relentless storm.

I find myself unable to resist the urge to check. I track her, my fingers typing in commands on my phone, mapping her location. To Upper East Side.

It's a neighbourhood for the upper class, influential families, quite popular here, in Brooklyn.

The anxiety rises within me like a tidal wave, crashing against my rational thoughts.

What if this is where she meets him? The other man.
What if he's one of them?
What if she's meeting him tonight for the party.

The possibility consumes me, and the need to know becomes overpowering. I can't sit here with these doubts festering. I can't let my imagination run wild any longer.

I grab my car keys, my actions hurried and frantic. I lock the house with haste.

I quickly make my way to the car, my heart pounding in my chest. The engine roars to life as I start the car, the urgency propelling me forward.

I have to know what's going on. Or else these doubts will continue to haunt me, consuming my sanity.

I need to know. Only if, to free from these unwanted thoughts.
To assure myself.