ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ - 7

Then

Joanna looks outside the window, as the driver steers forward.

Alex had asked her to go dancing with her for their next date.
And she is aptly nervous.

She has choosen a dark green dress for tonight.

But she's never been good at dancing and the prospect of feeling out of element,
is dreadful to her.

But Alex has been nice and encouraging.

And if you ask her,
it's not really the date she anticipates, but spending more time with Alex.

He has begun to intrigue her thoughts.

She would just enjoy herself, nevertheless. She thinks.

The cab comes to a halt she steps out on the sidewalk.

Alex spots her figure and walks over up to her.

His gaze travels all over hers and hers over him. Their eyes locking finally in an electric gaze.

He stretches his palms towards her.

"Ready to roll?," he asks trying to soothe her frayed nerves.

Joanna slips her hand in his, feeling relaxed.

"Yes."

She likes how he manages to calm her down with his gestures, not even needing a word and.

Yet having all that effect on her.

They walk inside and Alex realizes. That holding hands with her feels the most natural thing to him.

He squeezes it tight, as his thumb move over the centre of her palm.

Joanna intertwines their fingers, her soft gaze at him.

As they enter the dimly lit dance hall, the rapid thud of their heartbeats synchronize with the music.

Alex guides her, teaching her a few moves as Joanna watches him keenly. Her eyes glued to his synchronized movements.

Their feet moved in harmony, guided by the intoxicating melodies that fill the air.

Joanna laughs as he twirls her.
And her,not falling this time.

But feeling at ease.

A deep sense of underlying comfort and trust.

The tempo of the music shifts, and they watch people around themselves getting swept in a slow, intimate dance.

Alex pulls Joanna closer by her waist. And she loops her hands around his neck.

The soft notes matched the gentle rhythm of their aching limbs, allowing them to sway with a newfound tenderness. As they soft dance, their breathing rugged.

"Tell me about yourself, Jo," Alex hums softly with her in his arms.

"I know, next to nothing about you."

A playful smile tugs at the corners of his lips.

"Apart from the fact, that you love reading books on trains, you are a game enthusiast, and"

He looks at her, meeting her gaze.

"And that you look stunning tonight."

Joanna meets his gaze with a soft blush coloring her cheeks.

"I am studying law in NYU. I rent a one bedroom flat. I had a waitressing and a book store job for paying expenses and tuition fees, but this new scholarship I got recently, seems to be working well for me, for now.

I am not a great company, if you are looking for. If I am being honest.
I like my solitude , also my hobbies. And random cute strangers in train interest me," Joanna blushes at the last part.

"You?," she asks Alex.

"I am in my final year of med school. I plan on doing residency. I am specializing in surgical practice and planning to become a heart surgeon."

Alex reaches over and delicately tucks the errant strand behind her ear.
His fingers brushing against her skin in a fleeting touch. A shiver trickles down her spine.

"I own a one story flat. I visit my elder sister frequently who resides in this city too. I love reading, research and staying back in the comfort of my house.

And strangers who forget all the world around them, interest me," he continues but it's something else that has him breathless.

In the dim light, Alex can't help but admire Joanna - her open hair cascading down, her long dress gracefully sweeping the floor. She looks breathtaking, and his heart skips a beat as he holds her close.

His gaze drifting to her full lips.
As if they are summoning him against his will. Against all the thoughts she makes him feel.

She leans into him as if giving her the access to her.

Under the starry sky, as the music plays on, their bodies draw closer until they are inches apart.

Alex caresses her bottom lip, his hand sliding under the back of her neck as he brushes her lip against his.

The world around them seems to vanish as their lips meet fully in a tender, hesitant kiss - their first kiss.

The taste churns in Joanna mouth, the feel of plump lips, the nudge of his fingers that caresses her nape.

As they break apart, their eyes meet, breathless as he whispers,

"I really, really like you."

"Me too."

..........................................................

On one of such dates, they suggests going over to hers.

As they enter her place, the air charges with a mixture of anticipation and nervous excitement.

Alex and Joanna stand facing each other, their faces masking the unspoken desires underneath.

As the night grows quieter, their conversations shift, their words becoming softer and more intimate.

Joanna pulls him closer for a kiss, her back against the door as Alex grips her demandingly, and drags her to the room. They fall together on the bed.

Their hearts race rapidly, as their hands explore new territories.

They peel away the layers that separate them. The mind numbing desire taking full fledged possession, as he leans closer, kissing every inch of her. Achingly slow.

Their eyes lock again as she pulls him on top of her , the moment sighning off in a blur.

They lie entangled in white sheets.
The calm of the night still intact.

Joanna's head resting on Alex's shoulder.

A smile plays on his lips. As he traces her collarbones.

"I knew you would take that subway."

Her heart skips a beat. As his fingers encircle over her skin, leaving trails of pleasure behind.

"When?," she asks breathlessly.

"The first time you walked out through the doors. I knew I would see you again."

Do you believe in fate?," Joanna asks him, curious.

"As long as it leads you to me," Alex whispers huskily , his expression delighted, as he slams their mouths together. . .