10 | shimmer

CHAPTER 10
shimmer
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Where are you guys going?"

You and Chan leave his bedroom, making his roommates look up. Jisung was the first one to speak up, but now Changbin and Hyunjin are looking at their roommate as well. Both think Chris is spending an awful amount of time with you. Hyunjin has been wondering if his Hyung is dating his sister's friend or not.

"To get some snacks so Rye can concentrate again," Chan answers as he shuts the door behind him.

You glance at the three boys sitting on the couch. You notice Hyunjin staring at you, so you stop walking. "Hey, Hyunjin."

He nods at you, "Hey, Riley. How's English going?"

"Shit," you say, pointing at Chris. "I got an awful tutor, so it's not going well. I hate it here."

Ah, so you're not dating Chris. Hyunjin's making sure to put a mental note of that, so he won't question it again. And maybe Laska would have mentioned it if it was true.

"Stop saying I'm awful, you're just an awful student," Chan says, scoffing at your words. "Hurry up, we don't have a long break so we better go and get you a snack so we can finish your tutoring for today."

Doesn't seem like Chan is enjoying his time with you either, though, Hyunjin feels like.

Changbin laughs. "You guys sound like an old married couple," he says with a snicker, earning an annoyed look from you. This makes Changbin chuckle even more. "What? I'm serious! You guys bicker all the time. Might as well marry already."

"Shut up, Changbin. I'd rather stay single forever than to marry this guy," you say, then walking towards the door so you can head out.

Chan glares at Changbin. "You're not funny," he says before he leaves the dorm as well to follow you outside.

The two of you walk out of the building in silence. It's quite cold outside, you noticed. The sun is already down, so you're left with the night sky.

You look up to see the stars. You've always liked watching the stars, it's just something fun to do. The thing you like to see the most is the moon, especially when it's a full moon, or almost a full moon. The sky lights up so brightly and it shines so beautifully. It's one of your fave sights to see, truly.

"You know," you start, putting your hands in the pockets of your jeans. Chris looks up at the sound of your voice. "Mhm?"

"I've been wondering something."

"And what's that, Rye?"

You roll at the nickname. Oh, how you hate it when he uses that. Only one other person can do that, and that's not him.

"Why do you help me? And don't come at me with that stupid, annoying answer where you tell me it's for your own benefit. Because honestly, that's bullshit. I'd rather spend time in English class and pretend to do my work if I was good at it, than to tutor someone I hate," you say, laughing at your own words. "If it was the other way around, like if I was Australian and you were bad at English, I would much rather spend my time in English class and just work on my own stuff than to tutor you."

Chris sighs when you're done talking. "Riley, I don't hate you."

"Yes, you do. I know you do. Just tell me why you tutor me."

He shrugs, "It's in my nature to help those who are in need, I guess. I can't turn my back on someone if they need my help. When I was asked to tutor you I couldn't say no, because I knew you needed my help to pass this year. So why would I say no? I know you want to pass and I know you don't want to redo a year, so I said yes. You need my help, so I will give you my help, even though you don't want to."