Changes

Enjoy.

Ash jolted out of bed when he heard a loud crash outside. He rushed to the living room and found (F/n) supporting herself on the table with shards of a vase scattered around her and her mobile phone lying on the floor beside her legs.

He understood what had happened the moment he witnessed this. But he had to act his role. A supportive boyfriend.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt, baby?" As if finally finding hope, (F/n) rushed to his arms, alarming Ash as she nearly stepped on the shards.

"Ash, my parents. They are dead," (F/n) sobbed through her words. Her hands tightened around his waist, trying to find comfort in his warm embrace.

"How did this happen? We were just there yesterday," Ash gently stroke the back of her head, bringing her closer to him. His voice brimming with concern but his eyes were void of any emotion.

"(y/s/n) called me. She returned from the school trip and found my parents on the floor. Oh god, my poor sister. She had to witness that," (F/n) could feel all strength leave her body, if it was not for Ash, her body would be slumping on the floor right now.

This is too much for her. Just yesterday, they laughed together. Talked about the future. So many promises but now, they couldn't be fulfilled.

"You have to calm down (F/n), your sister needs you right now. Let's head there now?" Ash softly persuaded.

"Would it trouble you? I heard you have an important meeting today," (F/n) rubbed her eyes.

There was never one in the first place.

"Nothing is more important than you," he kissed her forehead, alleviating her discomfort in the process.

-❖-

They just left yesterday, but so many things happened in that short time.

The empty driveway is now filled with police cars. She noticed her sister sitting on the steps of the gazebo.

(F/n) rushed to her sister and both siblings hugged together. Only then did they realise that they had become orphans.

(F/n) hold her sister's hand tightly, keeping her company whilst Ash was talking to the police officers.

"I fought with them before I joined the school trip," (y/s/n) spoke after a long silence. (F/n) kept quiet as she let her sister indulge in her memories.

"I left without saying goodbye. I didn't expect I'm going to get this kind of goodbye from them," (y/s/n) laughed depressingly.

"I felt reluctant to leave yesterday, perhaps because of this. If only I followed my heart, maybe I could prevent this," (F/n) sighed heavily. The smiling face of her parents flashed across her. Her puffy eyes showed signs of crying again.

"What did the police say?" (F/n) voiced out when she noticed Ash walking towards them.

"No signs of injury. There were no signs of forced entry either. The police believed it was from cardiac arrest. But, it's such a coincidence that both of them suffered from the same thing," Ash shook his head, confusion painted on his face.

(F/n) pursed her lips at his words. Ash understood her worries and rubbed her head softly.

"They asked us to wait for the autopsy result. We will have our answer soon."

"Ash, I don't know what to do next. This is too sudden," (F/n) rubbed her palms on her face, and appeared frustrated.

"You don't have to worry. I will take care of everything," he glanced at (y/s/n) who were quiet from the moment he appeared. His fingers rubbed together as he stared at the back of her head; deep in thought.

-❖-

The autopsy result came as expected. It was similar to what the police had concluded, cardiac arrest.

Her parents were having tea early in the morning and suffered from cardiac arrest at the same time. The police had sent each sample of the tea to the laboratory, but there was nothing suspicious found.

No matter how dubious they were, there is no sufficient evidence to support their claim resulting in the police closing the case.

As (F/n) and (y/s/n) were not in the right state to handle the procedure, Ash stepped up and take over everything. From claiming the dead bodies to the funeral and choosing the cemetery.

Relatives and friends swarmed the funeral hall, taking their turn to pay respect to the dead before whispering condolences to the hosts.

(F/n) was silent all the time. Ash's presence was a great relief to her. She wouldn't be able to get anything done if she was alone. No amount of gratitude could ever pay his helping hand.

That night after the funeral, perhaps out of exhaustion and from her emotional turmoil, (F/n) was unconscious the moment she lay on the bed. She couldn't hear anything but felt warm fingers stroking her soft locks. Lulling her further.

-❖-

(F/n) woke up to a soft fragrance of breakfast wafting in the air. She opened her eyes and saw a familiar room.

'Why is she at her parents?'

(F/n) rubbed her face to see if she was still dreaming. She was not.

'Is mom cooking?'

(F/n) hastened to the kitchen, hoping to see a familiar back of her mother cooking and her father sitting at his usual spot drinking tea leisurely.

Her smile dropped when she failed to see what she wanted, only Ash was there, cooking breakfast.

'Ah, so everything did happen,'

(F/n) went silent. Her feet have taken root on the ground. She was dazed until Ash came forward and pulled her to a seat. Serving her breakfast and she ate it. He held a glass of juice and she drink it. She spent all day mechanically.

Only then did she remember something important.

"(y/s/n) is still a minor. I don't want her to stay alone here with no one to take care of her," Ash glanced at her.

He replied, "What do you suggest?"

"Would it be fine for her to stay with us for a while" (F/n) asked softly, afraid of his refusal. He had helped her so much that she was ashamed to ask for more.

"That's fine. I don't mind. She needs you just as you need her," Ash gave her a soft smile.

-❖-

The moving process doesn't require much work. The school has been informed of her transfer and readied all the paperwork needed.

(y/s/n) was reluctant to leave but one glance at her worn-out sister made her swallow her words. She would comply, at least for now.

The dead will be remembered but the living needs to carry on. Their lives continue as usual after adapting to their loss.

(F/n) resumed her work after a long absence by virtue of Ash who had accompanied her throughout her hard times and helped her regain her normal self back.

(F/n) was attentive to her sister's condition all the time and was glad she doesn't show any alarming signs regarding the dreadful situation she had to face.

One morning, right after Ash went out to work. (y/s/n) keeps whining about her bad headache and told (F/n) to go on without her as she always catches a ride to school with (F/n) before the latter head to the company.

If she had known the event that would take place that day, she wouldn't care about this little headache.

Thanks for reading.