Chapter 22

*Fire and Ice*

The Campfire day begins in great disappointment.

It is after the bus collects us from our spot and commences towards the destination that I realise Dirty Boyz won't be travelling with us. But they will arrive separately in the evening and leave as soon as they finish their jamming session.

I try to keep my mood light for the sake of Bobby who is adamant on having a good time. I really admire Bobby's indomitable spirit and her tenacity for survival. She has had it hard in her life but she isn't the one to fuss or complain about anything ever. She always seems so jovial cracking up jokes and putting on brave funny face to perfectly cover up her inner struggles. There is so much one could learn from her.

She inspires me...so much so that I'm thinking of taking up a job somewhere like her to support myself. She is aware of my current financial crisis and that I have temporarily moved near our campus but I'm yet to tell her about my neighbour as there wasn't enough time due to exams. I'm planning to tell her everything today at the camp as we have long weekend ahead and lots of free time to share things.

Also I have made up my mind to confront Arun about his stupid assumptions and win his friendship back.

I'm already short on my friend list and I don't intend to shorten it further.

~~

After we go over the daunting task of setting up the tents (much to my delight Arun lends us helping hand) we settle down around stack of piled up tinder.

The golden-hue sun has ended its journey for the day and is descending towards west to make way for the Moon to take over its shining throne in sky. Sun and Moon, perfect metaphor for fire and ice.

As the night further darkens and fire begins to catch up briskly in campfire, there is commotion everywhere.

All of sudden everyone starts to run helter-skelter. Some girls scream and shout, panicking while Bobby and I follow the crowd but Arun stops us.

"Girls get into your tents" he orders not just to us but entire gang of girls.

He along with few fellows of student council escort us forcefully towards tents. "Arun what's wrong?" I enquire protesting the force.

He lets out a sigh but then takes us to one side "Its St. Wilson." he whispers gravely.

St. Wilson's are old rivals of our college. And they are notoriously known to create ruckus for us specially at the time of annual fest as they have been losing the overall championship for three consecutive years now, coincidently since Dirty Boyz formed their band.

"They attacked the Boyz on their way here, some are pretty badly hurt" Arun informs.

My heart stops in my chest.

"Boyz? You mean Dirty Boyz?" I ask horrified.

He nods but recognition hits his face "There is no need to worry Manali, as Adarsh and the blokes have taken over and everything is under control" he assures me like fireman assures people whose families are trapped inside fire lit building.

"You guys stay put" he gestures towards tent firmly. When I remain rooted on my spot, Bobby tugs at my arm.

What did he meant by pretty badly hurt? Gruesome images flash before my eyes and while on our way towards tent, I carefully dodge Bob's eye to escape from her grasp

~~

I should have remained in my tent though.

As I reach the fight scene, there is commotion in true sense of word. Guys are beating up, blasting each other's asses, some are puking blood mixed with beer at the side of the road. I'm not even sure who is fighting whom anymore. As I try to make my way through, a guy comes flying over me and I get hurled on ground. My ankle twists in the process as I let out loud yelp.

"Manali!" someone shouts. It's Rocky who helps me up. "You shouldn't be here" he says and I gasp in response. There is blood draining over from side of his face and there are bruises all over his arm.

"Yes you should be in hospital" I tell him.

"Help is coming" he yells back "Go or you'll get hurt" he pushes me towards the camp site.

Where's J? I want to ask but I loose him in the crowd. I decide to return before I hurt myself futher anymore when someone hauls me in the dark, dragging me all the way to tow me inside the passenger seat of nearby car. I would have screamed had I not recognised the very familiar car.

"What do you think you are doing here?" J grits through his teeth as soon as he gets in the driver seat and slams the door shut. He doesn't wait for my reply as he ignites the car engine.

What? We are leaving just like that? I contemplate as he spins the wheel and we fly off the scene.

I observe him keenly all the while, he looks pristine clean, not a single strand of hair out of place. He doesn't seem like someone who has struggled his way out of fight club. Hell, even I got bruised for being trapped there for just few minutes.

"Are you leaving your friends to fight for themselves?" I interrogate.

His eyes move rapidly from rearview mirror to front mirror "They are fine. Adarsh is there" he says in all too trustworthiness.

"But still wouldn't it be better to be present there for them?" I grimace as I move my ankle. I could never imagine J as a coward who doesn't stand up for his friends.

"Manali, ambulance is arriving soon along with the police. There is nothing we can do by being present there except increase our troubles" he says in controlled irritated manner.

"Police? But wouldn't that mean more trouble for your peers?" I persist.

"Adarsh will sort it out. His father is powerful enough to keep everyone out of trouble. And as for my peers, the ones you are referring to, they've already left ahead of us" he remarks in clearly annoyed tone now.

It is quite for some time.

"You sure didn't hurt yourself much" I complain like it was bad thing that he kept himself out of trouble.

"I had some work to do earlier hence I couldn't leave for the campfire with the Boyz. When I did reach their, Adarsh had arrived along with his troupe. St Wilson's guys were outnumbered by then" he sighs "Is the interrogation over, Sergeant Manali? Or do you have more questions to run by?" he asks sardonically.

"Just one, where are we going to?" I peep out of window in darkness.

"Hospital"

"Hospital? J..but I'm really fine"

He lets out a chuckle "Boyz will be arriving their soon, we'll have check on them" he clears his throat.

"Sure" Shit! This is embarrassing.

"And also get your injured leg treated as well" he adds to save my face.

I blush through the pain radiating from the ankle of my feet.

~~

When we reach the casualty wing of hospital, Rocky is already treated and is flaunting three stitches on his forehead. Sandy and Rana are relatively less hurt with few bandages done here and there. Some other familiar guys float around inside the wing with dressings done on various parts of their anatomy.

After further twisting my ankle, the Doc gives me some analgesics and antispasmodics and goes on to attend more seriously hurt candidates.

I limp out of the examination room and see Adarsh and J engaged in some deep discussion. J immediately changes his stance upon catching my eye. He pats the small of Adarsh's back before he joins me back.

What's the deal between these two? My age old curious bone tickles again. I could sense there is more than comradeship between them.

When I had broached the topic earlier, J had evaded it wisely saying it was a long story. Well, we certainly have a long night ahead. And I'm determined to unravel this mystery tonight.

I want to know what could make this fire and ice gel so well together.

***