Chapter 20

*One step at a time*

I bat my eyelids perplexed half expecting the apparition to disappear in front of me.

"Manali?" J goads.

I think of something to say and come up with stupidest remark.

"Umm..sorry I don't have any sugar" I shrug.

"What? Oh that! I was just kidding with you" he smiles and all my troubles disappear in that second.

"What are you doing here, J?" I ask more sensibly this time.

He drops his shoulders defiantly "I told you, I live here".

I'm not totally convinced "You are kidding with me again, aren't you?" I titter.

"No Manali. I just rented the apartment next door" his smile disappears from his face.

"Why would you do that?" I ask incredulously. Did his father got fired as well? I'm tempted to ask but then remember his Dad runs his own company.

"I was bugged living there" he waves his hand off "And anyways I'm too used to have you around as my neighbour" his eyes twinkle again.

"The neighbour you avoided for past eight years?" I snort and curse myself for ruining the moment.

"Can I come in? Or do you want me to stand here all night so you can vent out all the remaining expletives?" he crosses his tattooed arms.

I make him way, my senses rejuvenating as I inhale the smell of fresh cologne while he passes by. He takes a seat on couch and I stand nervously near kitchen table farthest from the couch.

J surveys the room with keen interest. "So done with unpacking?" he asks causally spreading his arms wide open. I nod uncomfortably while imagining myself running into those arms.

"Seriously J, what the hell are you doing here?" I demand more firmly.

"Geez Manali, you have grown more annoying than I last remembered" he chukles lightly "I told you I just shifted here. It was getting tiring to drive all the way back home after late night gigs and return to college next day. I needed my own space to do my own thing, practice and all, as you know annual fest is coming up. So.." he pauses to point at wall "this place was the safest bet...as it's just few blocks away from college and the only available apartment right now in this vicinity, so I jumped at the opportunity" he abruptly bends forward "Are you convinced now or do you want me to keep talking?"

"Keep talking" I blurt out and kick myself outright.

His voice is literally music to my ears. This is the longest I have heard him ramble after our little fight outside Guitar hall. I would spend my lifetime if I've to, just to stand here and listen to music flow through that voice.

I quickly dart my eyes away to hide the rising colour on my cheeks.

"I'm sorry" he says after a while in lower tone "about Komal"

"It's okay. I'm sorry too as I lost a person who is...'was' very dear to me" I blink rapidly to stop the treacherous tears from betraying me.

I gulp down the lump formed in my throat to say "thanks though for helping me out....for the zillionth time maybe"

"Hey don't mention" he dismisses gracefully "and by the way it wasn't me. All the hard work was done by Adarsh. So if there is anyone you really want to thank it should be him"

Adarsh Yadav? A nice guy?

"What's the deal between you and Adarsh, anyways?" I scowl sounding more infuriating than I intended to.