Chapter 6

*First Friend*

"Hey look that's her..Manali Dev!"

..announces someone behind my back and instantly everyone's eyes fall on me.

Earth shakes under my feet. I feel so angry that I want to rip off the guy's throat but instead I rip off the letter that so insolently displayed my love life on notice board.

"Who's Jimmy?" sneers one.

"Lucky dude" says another.

"Oh I miss you Jimmy!" some guy imitates in a girlie voice "Jimmy Jimmy Aaja" and by that everyone starts singing in unison...

"Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy...Aaja aaja aaja"

I wish I was strong enough to take on each one of them. But I know I'm not.... so I do only one thing that I'm good at doing...

I run.

"Manali!" Komal calls out but there's no stopping to me.

I only stop when my knees give up and lungs crave for oxygen. I draw heavy breaths as I take in my surroundings. I realise I'm on terrace of our building where hardly anyone visits and blazing sun above my head makes sure I'm alone at this time.

After my respiration restores to normal, I glance down from parapet where I get clear view of the campus below. I see students in groups of three or four.. chitchatting..coming and going out of building.....laughing.....gossiping about Manali Dev.

The girl whose feelings for her childhood friend are now hot topic of discussions. And then it begins to sink in.. emotions giving away in form of stream of tears.

I yelp and scream..weeping my heart out as I'm sure no one is here to hear my cries when..

"What a pity!"

comes a voice from somewhere. I look around but see no one.

I swirl and I'm startled to see Adarsh Yadav inches away from my face. Involuntarily I take two steps backwards but still I'm close enough to feel his breath on me

"You know what are two most pathetic things in this world?" He hollers over me "Woman and tears" he snarls..I'm too terrified to even blink.

"And sadly you are combination of both" I could hear him clench his teeth.

"You ought to think twice before ruining my perfectly blissful plan of soaking in morning sun with your incessant flow of river" he says in low cold voice his eyes going wild and fanatical.

"Understood..Manali Dev?" His voice chills my bones to core. How does this monster know my name? News travel fast.

I nod instinctively and slip through side leaving him alone to smolder in sun.

~~

There is no chance of me going back to class and endure the stares and glares and chuckles and chortles from everyone so I decide to head back home. On my way out I message Komal and Bobby, informing them that I'm okay and to leave me alone for some time. I'm prepared with a lie of stomach ache for Mom when she asks me why my face is looking so sullen and mortified.

I have to summon myself and gather enough mental strength to face everyone again and waiting till 6pm for my dad to finish his work..

6 PM!

A sharp pain stabs my heart like I have been shot again and again at same spot when I remember a face that I had managed to block till now.

How can one grow so cold, heartless and indifferent in just eight years? It is something that my stubborn mind had refused to accept till now.