Chapter 11

*Heart on fire - Part 2*

It was early morning when my cellphone started buzzing. Arun was vociferously calling me and I knew immediately something has gone wrong.

It was his tone that gave him away "Come as soon as you can" he said with urgency in his voice.

I never asked what it is..when I came running to college early in morning. Since last night I had gut feeling something was going to go wrong..but I never expected it to be this.

When I reach college, Komal is waiting for me along with Arun. Normally I would've been happy to see them together but they both stand there looking mortified giving away the terrible news beforehand.

"Manali, I'm really sorry! I don't know how this all happened or why or who would do this?" Arun looks lost.

I inhale deeply and begin to assend towards classroom when Komal holds my arm "You don't want to.." she looks flustered.

"Of course I want to" I slap her hand away in misdirected fury.

But when I enter the room my heart misses a beat.

The projector screen which we had placed on podium the evening before is slashed to pieces. All the prints put on walls are torn down mercilessly cramming on floor all around. My eyes fall on something shiny lying in between the wrench..I pick it up to realize it is broken piece of CD which I had planned to use in presentation.

Suddenly my knees give away..as I loose control over them and crush on ground amidst the teared out mess.

Arun and Komal rush to my aid.

"Manali, look, not everything is over, okay?" Komal reassures sitting besides me taking my chin in her palm so that I meet her eyes "We will find out something to do..we will find a way out..we still have loads of time" she checks her watch.

How much time we have? An hour or two maybe..what can we do in such short period of time? Within no time the students will come rushing in. And when they'll discover how I have failed in my assignment everyone will be flabbergasted. What should I say to them..who ruined this??

I have let everyone's hopes down.

"Manali!" Arun cries out of blue. I look up hopefully "I have this habit of saving every magazine related stuff in store computer. I had copied your files few days back" He says with brighten eyes. So? I want to ask him but let him finish first "We can take out prints as many as possible and put them on display.. We won't be able to bring on a projector and put on a show given short period of time..but at least this will save our face" he states simply. I like the way he says 'our' instead of 'your'..like we are a team.

I smile gratefully at him and try to race my mind for any better solution than this. None come up.

"Manali" Komal urges after a while "If we are about to do anything we better start acting fast, we are running out of time" she points at her watch.

I nod and get up dusting off my pants..with determination on my face. This isn't over. I'm not giving up.

Just Not yet.

~~

We are in store cum office room waiting since ages while Arun searches for files in his computer.

"Goddamn! I don't believe this" he finally speaks putting his hands behind his head in 'I give up' gesture "Your files were right here till yesterday..but now.."

"..they are gone" Komal finishes him.

I lean over him to recheck for myself..like I don't believe my best friends..like they are pulling some cruel prank on me and anytime they are going to start yelling..'Gotcha!'

I desperately want to believe that..but Arun crashes whatever remaining hope in me when he says..

"This is personal vendetta, Manali. Someone is intentionally trying to hurt you. Look.." he gestures back at screen "Only files stored under your name have vanished. Everything else is as I had left it"

"But how can anyone have access to this computer? Isn't it secured with password or something" Komal accuses Arun like this all is result of his callousness.

"Komal. Everything here belongs to fraternity. Anyone with common sense can guess the password to it which is name of this institution" Arun explains.

"So now what do we do?" Komal questions and they both look at me.

I plod on couch in answer. It's over. I'm defeated.

"Don't worry Manali, everything will be okay." Komal empathises.

"You did your best.. Maybe you should talk to Prof before the event commences. He might excuse you if you explain it to him..or do you want us to talk for you?" offeres Arun.

No. They have already done more than they should. A lump starts forming in back of my throat. Last thing I want to do right now is cry in front of my best friends. So I excuse myself and leave the room.

~~

I don't know for how long I wonder aimlessly in hallway. But soon enough morning rush begins to fill the corridors. Various fresh enthusiastic faces in school uniforms wander from place to place. I remember the day when we had spent entire day roaming the campus before school boards. I was pretty excited back then to visit the college and looked forward to it greatly even though I had already made my mind about this institution.

I dab the corner of eyes with tissue..I'm not going to run away anymore. I decide to take the responsibility of my deeds..even if it means detention..or getting deducted from annual fest whole class suffering similar fate as mine. I cringe at that thought.

As I'm about to knock on wooden door to Prof's office when an heavy weighing arm stops me by dragging me aside. Bobby.

"What the hell are you doing here?? Have you checked your mobile phone? Why don't you throw it in dustbin if you don't intend to use it enough??? I have called you like n number of times!!! How on earth can you miss what is happening right now!!!" Bobby screams in joy..the only time I had seen her at this level of excitement was when Remo D'souza had come as celebrity guest in last year's annual fest.

"What is happening right now?" I ask her clueless.

~~

My heart races faster than my feet as I sprint in full speed.

Bobby is right. There is commotion outside our classroom. Everyone is dying to get inside. Mostly girls. Shrieking screaming loudly. And then I hear them play. Dirty Boyz!! Playing in our classroom!!

"I'm falling in, I'm falling down..

I wanna begin..but I don't know how.."

It is Rana's high octave voice.

"To let you know how I'm feeling,

I'm high on hope..I'm reeling.."

Bobby somehow manages us to get in. Once inside classroom I see a miraculous view..the messy floor we had left behind is spotless clean.

"I won't let you go, now you know

I've been crazy for you all this time.."

There is no sign of torn prints. Not a single piece of paper. No evidence of what we had witnessed an hour ago.

"I've kept it close, always hoping,

with heart on fire"

How the hell did this happen?

"A heart on fire"

I catch J's almond eyes staring at me and as our eyes meet his face breaks into most beautiful angelic smile...

which sets my heart on fire!

***

So how did you liked the story till now? Do let me know votes can help too..xoxo