Chapter 7, chit chat

(Sarah's POV, thursday 20th of september)

''Hey Sarah!'' Y/n greets me while kicking off her shoes. ''Hey, how was you day?'' i ask her. ''It was boring, but i'm glad there's only one day left before the weekend.'' she smiles. ''How was yours?'' she asks, sitting opposite of me. ''Fine, I decided I would stop ealy, though. I don't feel like working behind the computer any longer.'' ''Good choice.'' she smiles. ''I was hoping i could talk to you, actually.'' she says, looking more serious now. ''Alright, what about?'' i ask her curiously. ''Well, it's only fair that you know why I'm here, right?'' she laughs nervously. I smile softly at her, ''You don't owe me anything.'' I assure her. ''No, I know! But, I'm here, living in your house, under your care. I give you more responsibility than you asked for. So I think you have the right to know at least something.'' she's fiddling with her fingernails. ''Only if you really want, dear. But i am here if you want to talk.'' i smile at her. ''Well, i don't want to go into details, but i can paint you the big picture.'' she smiles, i nod. ''Well, it started when dad died. She took it badly, and she found help in alcohol and drugs.'' she starts, obviously finding it hard to tell it. ''Honey, you don't have to.'' I assure her once more, she shrugs me off. ''She started doing some illegal things, and now she's in jail, you know why. It's not really what you think, but... sorry, i find it harder to talk about than i thought.'' she wipes a single tear away. ''It's alright, Y/n. I'm here for you.'' i stand up take the seat next to her. ''I know you knew all of this already. I thought i could just say it all, but i can't... sorry.'' she says with a hoarse whisper. The poor girl. I don't know exactly what happened to her. But seeing your mum drunk and high for years, can't be good for you. I also know that Simone, her mum, is serving time for child abuse. That comes in many forms, I can only hope that the scars aren't because of her, but my gut says it is. Y/n lays her head on my shoulder, breathing carefully. I place my arm around her shoulder and hold her, to let her know I'm here, to help her, not to hurt her. God, I can feel my own tears running over my cheek. Y/n looks up at me from my shoulder. She wipes away one of my tears, then hugs me fully. ''Thank you, Sarah.'' she says. ''I'm here if you want to talk about it, okay?'' I say to her, wiping away an old tear of her. ''Thanks, but I mean for all of it. Also for just now, but also for letting me stay here, thank you for being my guardian and thank you for caring.'' She squeezes my shoulders tightly.

(Your POV)

I'm sitting at my desk, doing my science homework. It's getting easier to do school in English every day. Sometimes I need help from google translate, but other than that, good. I even get maths again, which is a relief, since it's such an important subject, unfortunately. I hear my door open. ''Sup'' I hear Nick's voice say. ''Hey'' i respond. I can hear him let himself fall on the bed. I turn around and look at him, he looks... I don't know, worried? ''What's wrong?'' i ask him. ''It's... I can't tell you. It's something with Charlie, and i'm sad.'' he says, with a thick voice, like he's on the edge of crying. My eyes go wide, ''Did you guys break up?'' he snaps his head at that. ''No! No, nothing like that. It's something he did after getting bullied badly 2 years ago. I'm scared it can happen again. But I just have to have hope that it won't.'' he explains, wiping away a tear. My stomach drops, Charlie has hurted himself, hasn't he? I stand up and sit next to him on my bed. ''Nick, I can only say I'm sorry that happened to him. And that it's bloody amazing off you that you care, alright?'' i give him a small smile. ''But what if something like that happens again?'' he asks, I think for a second. ''It's probably hard, but also best if you talk to him about it.'' I say honestly, he nods slightly. ''Nick, you can't fix it. You can only be there for him if something happens again. Be a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on or a person to help him feel better. Your 16, his boyfriend, not a doctor who needs to save a patient.'' I grab his shoulders so he looks at me. ''Don't feel responsible for it, Charlie would hate that, I'm sure.'' I look him straight in the eyes, he knows he needs to hear this. He nods, that he understands. ''And Nick, have faith that he's alright now. If he isn't, be there for him... And also look out for yourself, talk to your mum, your lads or me. You can't carry such worry on your own.'' i smile at him. He gives me a big hug. ''Thank you.'' he breathes out.