Chapter 18 - The Phoenix and the Angel (Part II)

"This is the moment we've all been waiting for!" the announcer's voice echoed across the arena. "We've made it to the finals of this glorious tournament! Only two champions remain in the battle for the ultimate title! A title that is only bestowed upon one sorcerer every five years! The title of the Magornis winner!!"

The stadium exploded in loud cheers and shouts from the crowd. Everyone was pumped up for the closing event of this tournament—the one and final battle to decide the ultimate victor.

"Arianna," Velvet muttered, "I'm not letting my eyes off you this time. No matter what!"

"You better," Christopher chuckled on her left. "She's going to actually kill you if you do."

"I'm going to root for her with all I've got!" Loretta said, sitting on her right, with Zayn and Warina next to her. In light of her father's actions, the princess has decided to forfeit her seat in his private booth and rather come watch this final battle with her friends as a commoner.

"Let us meet our two finalists!" the announcer's voice pierced their ears. "Representing the academy of Draxnia and the dracon kingdom of Eldrasit, we have the crown princess herself! Nobody could stand against her flames so far, the flame empress, Kirara Ruby Stormbane!"

"How many times do I have to tell you guys!" she shouted, stepping into the arena. "Cut the damn "Ruby" part when announcing my name!"

The crowd cheered loudly when she entered, the dracons going especially crazy. Despite the events of the previous day—or perhaps precisely because of the events of the previous day—she appeared to have gained a large number of supporters, even among other races.

"I didn't expect so many people to cheer for her after yesterday," Christopher commented.

"You and me both," Zephyr agreed. "I expected everyone to hate her."

"In the end, all she did was expose the truth," Loretta spoke. "If anyone, I should be hated."

"The way she openly mocked and humiliated you was uncalled for, regardless of what she was trying to expose," Velvet said sternly. "People may be quick to forget, but I won't."

"Neither will we," Warina spoke for both herself and her partner. "Right, Zephyr?"

He reached out for her hand and squeezed it. "Indeed. I hope Arianna beats her today!"

"She will," Velvet reassured them. "I don't know how yet, but she will. Just you watch her."

"And now her opponent!" the announcer continued after letting Kirara walk to her side of the battlefield. "Representing the academy of Everdale and the human kingdom, also known as the United Provinces of Ardor, we have someone who caught us all off guard! Don't be fooled, folks; underneath her calm eyes and gentle smile lies a beast that tore through her opponents like a hurricane through a poorly built village! Please welcome, Arianna Goldleaf!"

"ARIANNA!!" Velvet and her friends stood up to cheer for their friend. The rest of the audience seemed to love her as well, as she received the same if not even a stronger response from them as the flame empress before her. Unlike her, though, Arianna did not smile and wave at the crowd but instead marched solemnly to her side of the battlefield with a stone-cold expression. To her, it was as if the crowd was not even there. There was only one person in it who she really cared about, after all.

"YOU CAN DO IT, ARIANNA!!" Velvet screamed her lungs out. "TAKE HER DOWN!!"

Arianna glanced at the gallery, scanning it with her eyes. Her friend's voice got drowned in the crowd, but she could still make it out. Velvet was there, waving her hat near the top of the crowd. Velvet, the girl gave her a slight nod, not that her friend could see it. Watch me now.

"What's the matter, airhead?!" her opponent shouted from the other side of the battlefield. "So scared you're stunned speechless? You should be! Because I'm not going easy on you!"

The girl paid no attention to her, only staring into the crowd, focused on her friend.

"Hey, I'm talking to you! You still think you're better than me?!"

There was no response from her. This frustrated the dracon greatly. "Just you wait! You will regret ignoring me like this as soon as that bell rings!"