Chapter 14 - The Magornis (Part I)

Two months went by in a flash and the time of departure was upon them. A large convoy of carriages and guards on horses started heading south from the elven capital of Eldar. Their destination was the port town of Ingar, on the very southeast of the elven lands. The path was a lot less tedious that Velvet had anticipated, though. They just kept going straight along a wide, nicely paved road that seemed to have no end to it.

"So this is the Eternal Path?" Velvet asked her elven companion, sitting on the opposite side of the carriage. The elf nodded. Upon the princess' request, the girls got their own carriage while the king, his wife, and Loretta's sister were in another. A third carriage belonged to headmaster Winkleshaw and his assistant, Miss Pampleton. The school year would end in two months and professor Brimblebrawn, a tier-two sorcerer, took over the academy while its top executives were away. It was considered mandatory for all the headmasters and Council members to attend the Magornis. Argus would undoubtedly accompany Arianna, leaving poor Ralph in charge of Everdale academy while he was gone.

At the front of the girls' carriage, next to the coachman, an elderly lady sat in silence, a stern look on her face. She hardly spoke, even when they stopped along the way to sleep. But she never left the princess' side, no matter where Velvet and Loretta went.

"That's Fumina," the young royal explained. "She is my personal guardian. The king, the queen and my two sisters each have one assigned. They are some of our best soldiers."

This old lady was one of their best soldiers? Velvet couldn't help but doubt that, glancing at the frail-looking woman, whose light-blue hair was already turning grey. Her face was wrinkled and her eyes tired, yet she radiated a motherly energy. She never saw her so much as smile, however, let alone chuckle or laugh. She seemed wholly devoted to her role of protecting the princess, never letting her guard down for even a second. The human saw Fumina eyeing her suspiciously every now and then but quickly glancing away when the girl noticed her. This gave the young witch the feeling that she wasn't trusting her with being Loretta's friend.

"I think your guardian doesn't trust me," Velvet said at one point.

"Nonsense!" the princess dismissed her worries. "Fumina is nice! Her and I go way back!"

"It's probably because I am human," the girl concluded.

"Don't think too much about it," Loretta said. "She is just suspicious of everyone. Always."

"Do you have many enemies that try to kill you?"

"Not really, no," the elf shook her head. "But I guess one can never be too careful."

***

The convoy arrived at Imgar in just a little over three weeks' time. They could have gotten there faster, but they were moving slowly and making a lot of stops to rest and refresh themselves—king's orders.

"Father doesn't really like traveling," Loretta explained. "So when he does travel, he wants to be as comfortable as possible. That's why we will be taking the biggest ship in our navy as our own for this trip. Three smaller warships will accompany us for protection."

"Protection?" Velvet asked. "Protection from what? What can happen out on the sea except for bad weather? And that's not something you can protect yourself from, is it?"

"Pirates," the princess said, her expression a bit fearful. "They know many royals and other important people are heading to that island around this time, so they will be looking to score."

"They actually do that?!" her friend was surprised. "I thought that's just in fairy tales!"

"It's no fairy tale; I can assure you," Loretta said sternly. "They killed my grandfather. Pillaged and sunk his ship. Ironically, he was heading to the Magornis himself at that time. That was twenty years ago now. I wasn't born yet, but my eldest sister told me. That's why father especially despises them and takes all the necessary precautions to fend them off."

"Oh," Velvet's eyes fell down. "Sorry for your loss."

"It's all right. I never really knew my grandfather. But my father was devastated, naturally."

"Your Highness, we need you and your friend to board the ship now," a calm and gentle voice spoke. It was her guardian. This was the first time Velvet had heard her speak. The elderly lady walked past them with her hands on her back, drifting elegantly along the dock.

"Yes, Fumina," Loretta nodded. "We will be right there!" She turned to Velvet. "Come."