uǝǝʇɥƃᴉǝ ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

Start from the beginning

Towards the end of the movie, the screen displayed the female lead in a splendid black gown, standing on a corner of a Parisian street. Amid the bustling evening crowd, she waited for someone. The male lead arrived, dragging his weary body. His once neat suit was now disheveled, his hair, face, and clothes were marked with the aftermath of a fight. The female lead hurried towards him, and as the music swelled, they embraced passionately.

I stared at the movie screen, suddenly aware that my hand was being held. I looked down and noticed Jin Yu's hand tightly pressed against mine, his fingers were fidgeting, each one trying to slip through the gaps between mine, forming an interlocking pattern. I glanced at him, surprised by the emotional turmoil in his eyes. In that moment, all his previous invitations, ambiguous remarks, and subtle gestures finally connected in my mind. I understood the intentions behind his actions.

The movie reached its climax with a passionate embrace between the main characters, accompanied by stirring music. Jin Yu gazed at me, one hand resting on the back of my head. He leaned forward and lightly pressed his lips against mine. I widened my eyes, unable to process what was happening. Before I could react, he deepened the kiss. I closed my eyes, a voice in my head exclaimed:

So, he doesn't see me as just a friend!

I wasn't sure how long the kiss lasted, but it seemed to outlast the movie's soundtrack. I pulled my hand away from Jin Yu's grip, pushed him back, and my mind was in disarray. Was it my lack of attentiveness or Jin Yu's skillful concealment that led me to miss his intentions for so long?

This was the first time I had kissed anyone besides Pei Hao, and it felt different. The first time I kissed Pei Hao, I was nervous, my heart raced, and I felt like a deer caught in headlights. Even after we had been together for a while, every kiss made me feel like a gentle scratch of a kitten, causing a tickling sensation. But when I kissed Jin Yu, apart from surprise, I felt nothing else.

I wasn't sure if it was because I didn't have any particular feelings for Jin Yu or because I only had special feelings for Pei Hao. It was a bit tragic – while kissing someone else, I still found myself thinking of Pei Hao.

On the way back, we didn't mention the kiss that had just happened. Jin Yu was driving, and I sat in the passenger seat, listening to the music in the car. Neither of us said much. Jin Yu's phone kept ringing, but he ignored the calls and eventually turned it off. I could sense his growing restlessness, but I wasn't sure if it was due to the person on the other end of the phone or my own resistant attitude.

Jin Yu parked the car outside my home. I unbuckled my seatbelt, got out, and bid him goodnight, preparing to go upstairs.

"Xiao Xi." Jin Yu also got out of the car, approached me, and looked at me. "Honestly, from the moment I first saw you, I felt something. Take your time to think about it."

My thoughts were complicated, and I didn't know how to respond.

"You don't have to give an answer now. Take your time." Jin Yu reached up and gently brushed a strand of hair from my forehead, then leaned down and planted a kiss on my forehead. He whispered, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." Feeling a bit uneasy, I turned away and said, "You should head back now."