ǝʌlǝʍʇ ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

Start from the beginning

I awkwardly smiled, waved at my teammate, urging him to go back to the company.

After my colleague left, Pei Hao sat by my bedside, reached out, and touched my forehead. His brows furrowed, and he asked softly, "Why is your temperature so high?"

He leaned closer, and I noticed that he looked quite disheveled. He had grown a layer of stubble, his complexion was pale, and a strong smell of alcohol wafted from him as he approached. He didn't have the usual confident and spirited appearance.

I furrowed my brows and turned my head slightly, saying in a calm voice, "Keep your hand away, the smell of alcohol is too strong."

Pei Hao quickly withdrew his hand, sniffed his sleeve, and mumbled to himself, "I changed my clothes before leaving."

"It's not like I asked you to come. My colleague doesn't know about us," I said expressionlessly, "You can leave."

"I'm not leaving," Pei Hao's tone was firm, "Are you planning to bother Da Bai to take leave again and stay with you, or are you going to stay alone and wait for the drip to finish?"

I looked at the three bottles of IV solution hanging there; it probably had a few more hours left to infuse. By the time it was time to change the drip, if I didn't stay awake and monitor it, the liquid might flow back into my veins.

Da Bai was on a business trip and wasn't even in City Y. Where would I find him? When you're on your own outside, falling ill is the worst thing that can happen. Now it seemed I could only reluctantly let Pei Hao watch over me.

Seeing that I didn't refute him, Pei Hao lowered his head and softly asked, "Do you want to eat something?"

I shook my head.

"Then sleep, rest for a while," Pei Hao held the hand that was receiving the IV with his free hand, as if he was consoling, "Your hand is so cold, let me warm it up for you."

I didn't want any intimate contact with him, so I forcefully pulled my hand back, inadvertently tugging on the needle stuck in my flesh, which made me wince in pain.

"Fine, fine, do whatever you want," Pei Hao, afraid that I would touch the needle again, refrained from touching me.

"Just go to sleep," Pei Hao helped tuck the corners of the blanket around me and then sat by the bed, staring at me without looking away, as if he was afraid I would disappear the next second.

I felt a bit awkward under his eager gaze, so I turned my head away and closed my eyes, pretending to sleep.

I'm not sure when I actually fell asleep, but by noon, the IV had finished, and Pei Hao wanted to feed me lunch.

I insisted on not letting him feed me, and he didn't argue, simply sitting quietly on the side, watching me eat.

While I was eating, he answered a phone call, and the voice from the receiver seemed like it belonged to Egg Brother.