Chapter Twenty-Eight

To be honest, I couldn't remember much of what happened. All I knew was one moment I was fighting with Cienna, and the next... she was gone — head severed by my bloodied hand. It felt like watching myself as if I were a spectator of someone else who looked exactly like me but not entirely me simultaneously. I suppose one could say I was hallucinating; the blood I lost was far too alarming to dismiss that theory. If anything, I could recall blacking out, head spiraling until I could see nothing.

I knew I was dying and that the next thing I would feel would be hell's fire and agony. I've prepared myself for it, to hear the anguished cries of souls condemned, to feel hell's torture for eternity as punishment for my worldly sins. Although that never came, I never caught a single utterance of help nor felt the burning of skin; instead, I found myself cushioned softly amidst the field of blooming blue Hyacinths — ones that reminded me of a particular enchanting navy blue eyes I had to leave behind.

The field was as far as the eyes could see, a single dirt path leading to nowhere in front of me. I debated whether I should check where it led, but the moment I hesitated, a sudden wind blew hard past me. Forced to shield my eyes, I soon found myself in another place. I marveled at the sight of marble and gold — everything I laid my eyes on where either of the two or combined. That's when I realized I was yet again pulled back from death.

An Aether; I was in someone else's Aether.

Peculiar enough, it didn't feel hostile, nor was it gloomy like Cienna's Aether. This one was... Majestic, heaven-like, to be exact. From the high golden pillars, the flourishing pink camellias and hibiscus that surrounded each wall, down to the pristine marbled floor, not to mention the way clouds seemed to form subtly around me, made me feel as if I could ascend at any moment. However, I doubt that would ever be the case. Perhaps this was my judgment, to be stuck in a nirvana-like Aether and never be reincarnated; that would be a very light sentence for everything I've done.

I walked farther; each step felt like floating until I found my way into an empty throne room, where I gaped at the golden throne up ahead. The throne had lights beaming around it like an arc made of blinding sun rays which was strange in a celestial way, for the ceiling was made up of twinkling stars. It was neither night nor day in that room but a tear in time. My knees buckled at its immense power, forcing me to lower my head as my heart pounded.

It was the most potent force I've dealt with that even my father's aura and Cienna's energy couldn't compare. And that says so much because if the throne alone could provoke such feelings in me, what more if I was to meet the one seated on it?

And as if hearing my thoughts, An androgynous voice came, welcoming me into their Aether. I couldn't decipher if it were a male or a female's voice; it was soft yet powerful, longing yet happy. They sounded as if they'd waited for me for a long while, which both confused and unnerved me.

Who would wait for me in Aether? Was this person what they consider the grim reaper?

"Are you here to punish me?" I said aloud, scanning the surrounding for any living being. I clenched my fist; my body tensed as I grew increasingly impatient with their silence.

"Why don't you show yourself? Why must you hide?" I yelled again, louder, as I narrowed my eyes at no one.

"It is not yet time for us to face each other. A crown begets another crown." The voice said this time, talking in puzzles I couldn't begin to decipher.

I clicked my tongue, grumbling under my breath as I frowned. "Then why bring me here? I could swear I was in Nirvana before you pulled me into your Aether-"

"There is no Nirvana, my Eva." They uttered, emphasizing a name I never go by before continuing. "Not for us werewolves."

I flinched, stilling for a brief moment as I let their words sink in. If there is no Nirvana for us werewolves... then where are my parents? Where are those that gave up their lives to protect their loved ones? Ones that died with pure hearts?