Chapter Four

I was startled awake by the sound of a loud bang echoing through the palace. With a pounding heart, I scrambled out of my bed to look outside. To my confusion, it was still dark, and the sun barely licked the horizon.

Perhaps the servants are removing decorations from last night, I thought to myself, mind still exhausted and disoriented because of the events that happened earlier. My limbs were still aching as well from all the running I did just to tire myself out. I was just about to go back to bed when another sound reached my ears, followed by a high-screech yell and more shouting. Alarmed, I rushed out of my bed and barrelled into the long hallways, following the sound hastily and not minding the fact I was still in my sleeping attire — bed hair sticking out all over the place as I ran.

Once I'd reached the throne room, I was shaken to see wolves battling everywhere. Blood glistened on the marble floors, smeared by the waging battles. Cries of pain and fear filled my ears. Out of instinct, I scanned the room for my father, panicking when I saw him fighting someone in a human form near the back. While it's true that Alphas are very powerful beings, my father had aged since the last time he physically fought, resolving threatening wars with wisdom and mutual agreement instead. He could barely keep his wolf form during times he had to see the palace doctor; warned that he shouldn't be overdoing himself else he wanted to pass early.

I quickly transformed into my wolf, fending off any other wolves that crossed my path as I charged forward. One thing I was grateful for growing up was the fact that I needed physical training as the crown princess. It gave me enough experience to fight in a real battle rather than just in theory. That added to the natural gift that the Alpha-blood carries made me unstoppable. 

I stopped at no one, sharp teeth mauling the enemy without mercy. Soon, most of the trespassers were subdued, but luck was not in our side as the man battling my father — who had found an opening after my father shifted back to his human form — placed a blade close to his throat and pinned my father's hands behind his back with his free hand.

"Move and I'll show no mercy for the Alpha King." he threatened, effectively freezing everyone in place. I growled at him, eyes filled with hatred and worry.

He then looked at me with a smirk, nodding his head. "You must be the crowned Alpha. I heard you were quite the beauty. Transform back to your human form and maybe I'll let the King go."

A deeper growl escaped my throat but obliged, transforming back with a look of rage. What little remnants of my clothes clung to my frame, leaving me half-naked, but I didn't care. "Let him go. If you want me, then fight me. Don't be a coward."

Shockingly, he laughed out loud. "This is not being a coward, your highness. Fighting you was never part of the deal. Well, maybe hurting you, but never on a one-on-one. I'm not an idiot."

"What do you want?!" I roared, trembling fist itching to punch the light out of his wicked smirk.

In a nonchalant tone, he replied. "Give up your position as the crowned Alpha."

People gasped at his demand, finding it unbelievable that he'll make such a big and important ransom. I gasped, too, but before I could even begin to think otherwise, my eyes drifted to my father. The agony at the thought of losing my title died in my stomach the moment I looked at him. My stoic father, so helplessly trapped behind the blade at his throat. Staring at me, he shook his head as much as the blade would allow, eyes pleading with mine. I had only one title. 

But I also had only one father. 

"Fine." I agreed, keeping my eyes on him. "Let go of my father and I will let go of my title."