The air inside the house didn't smell murky like he hadn't come here in a long time. So not only did he own the place, but really lived here. I was surprised to see he lives in a house like he is a family man. Through a quick glance around the house, I saw everything was just old and stylish, the kind of stuff that never goes out of fashion and always looks regal and stylish. My fleeting glance halted at the portrait of an old woman holding a young boy with perfect curly hair on her lap. The picture was taken in front of the fireplace it was hanging on top of.

I sat on the couch. A large box of sweet treats was lying on the table. Ruslan rushed to it and took the box to what I thought would be the kitchen area before I could make out the store's name written on the box. The house was filled with an aroma like there were more boxes of chocolates stashed in the house. Even back in Kazimir's house, he brought the sweets and even the tub of ice cream in a Tupperware like a woman.

Noticing my gaze towards the picture, Ruslan spoke. "I always loved coming here. It is so calm out here. It was our maternal grandmother's. I had thought Kazimir would inherit the place, I have badly shared a word with old people. Especially this delirious woman." He shrugged at the picture, his eyes going to the distance like he was reconsidering why the house was given to him by their grandma.

"Doesn't it obstruct your work? This place is too far from the city. What is this place anyways." I ask nonchalantly.

"Not too far from... Actually, no... You will call the cops here again. My babushka's spirit will haunt you if you let any law-abiding citizen in this house." His answer made me chuckle. He got me. Shit!

"After seeing the competence of New York cops. I will not bother to even give them a holler, even if they are standing before me." I chuckled as my stomach churned at the mixed feeling I had. Would I have really turned Kazimir in and told the cops everything? Thankfully, Ruslan didn't allow me to drown in my thoughts as he spoke.

"Speaking of. How did you know where you were? 911 can't make out the building area that quickly." He asked, his raised brows hiding behind those heavenly curls as he sat on the armrest of a big old couch.

"They track the call" I shrug.

"This quick, Gaia. Do you see something written in here ?" he points his finger to his forehead.

"I didn't want you to live in regret but now you're asking for it. You told me about the building." I smirk.

He raised his brows.

"The tallest building in front of Knight Corporation which was about 2 miles away...." he shook his head not believing my words.

"Remember when I told you the best Indian takeout is in Nevada and you ordered from the Chennai kitchen, which was right in front of our building..." I speak slowly to add more drama.

"Motherfucker." he groaned.

*****

I must have passed out on the couch when Ruslan shook my shoulders, waking me from the slumber.

"Get into the bedroom, don't get seen and don't make a noise." He spoke calmly but his eyes spoke something else. I keep looking back at him as he literally pushes me towards the stairs and takes me a what looks like a guest room.

"Do not make a noise." He repeated sternly, and when he didn't leave me, I realised that he needed me to answer him. I nodded frantically. He touched my cheek gently before he walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. The lock clicked into place, making me roll my eyes. I charged toward the window as I heard the rumble of SUVs.

Without touching the curtain, I carefully peeped out through the gap between the window to see 3 black SUVs stop opposite Ruslan's BMW. Several men wearing black suits came out of the SUV. I couldn't see all of their faces as the fountain obstructed my view of them. But I knew what they were, made men. An old man who looks exactly like Kazimir stepped out last.

Ruslan rushed toward the old man, his father I was sure of now. He kissed his father's knuckles. They talked for a bit. I neither could hear what they discussed nor read their stoic faces, so my gaze flitted towards the property as I noticed a woman walking outside the house, with a baby stroller.

Whatever his father had said, it convinced Ruslan to take him inside. Along with two of their men. The woman with her baby stroller struck out in this area, I don't know how many houses are around, but this definitely didn't strike me as a place where anybody would like to raise their child. She was a thick black coat that was perfect for the weather but something about her was off. But I had to step back from the window before any of the guards could see me.

The meeting runs for an hour. I had my ear glued to the door, but I could barely make out that they were discussing something in Russian. Defeated, I plopped on the bed, counting sheep to kill time, not wanting to think about Kazimir at all.

The locks turned I lept to a sitting position, Ruslan slowly slipped inside the room, not opening the door all the way. he crouched to my side on the bed and whispered.

"I have to run, Gaia. Don't do anything stupid. This can't be a coincidence he is here. You stay put." and then just ran out.

I remained frozen in place until all the cars left the property. I carefully peeked out to see no sign of them or the woman strolling outside. My heart continued to hammer against my chest in apprehension. So many bad things had already happened how worse was it going to be? I sat on the bed again and closed my eyes to meditate despite the ominous feeling not leaving me.

Some time passed when I heard a commotion my eyes opened just as something heavy barreled against the cherry wood door, I crawled back on the bed my back glued to the bedpost, another loud bang rattled the door frame, and the alarm blared loudly inside the house making my ears hurt. The doors splintered in half.

Four men walked inside through the gap they made in the door. Their sinister smiles were like a gut to my chest. The realization dawned upon me that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. The gilded cage was an ivory tower.

 The gilded cage was an ivory tower

Namaste. It will be really helpful to me if you share the story link on your Conversation Board or social media. And thank you for reading. Please don't forget to VOTE ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐for the chapter and leave your COMMENTS below.

I would love it if you checked out my other stories, 'Aurora's Aura' 'Billion Dollar Wedding' 'Violet Hues' 'Becoming Romeo' & ''Mafia & Miss Honey'. The story link is on my profile