Chapter 26

"He is angry, Gaia

"He is angry, Gaia. He wasn't thinking, just give him some time." Ruslan spoke to me as he drove us somewhere out of Manhattan. We must be going for about half an hour now. And this was the first time he said anything. I preferred silence before having this confrontation.

"That's it. That's all you got to say aren't you going to scream at me." I hit back from the back seat of his BMW as he drove the car cutting through the heavy traffic. My droopy and sore, I could feel the swelling around my eyes and the headache building growing more painful with every passing minute, my throat was scratchy. I had gulped down the energy drink Ruslan had handed me in one go. But it was my heart that hurt the most. Between my heart and brain, the brain had won this time.

"You are not wrong. We men. We are dogs, Gaia. We want things to work the way we want as we have planned." He sighed in resignation. I could hear the struggle in his voice. He was torn between seeing the reason behind my actions and his loyalty towards his brother. For someone who is in the mafia, doing all the unlawful things possible, he sure had scruples, confirming my suspicions that he had had a better life than Kazimir growing up.

"He told me about his life in Russia..." I tell Ruslan, and he nods in return, which means that he knows. A police car was parked on the side of the road. One of the officers stepped out walking towards the road, looking directly towards Ruslan, who, in turn, slowed his car. A silent look was exchanged between them before Ruslan sped up the car and we were back to our merry way. I turned to give a scathing look to the crooked police officer, even though he couldn't see me through the tinted windows. He was speaking something on his radio before I turned, I shook my head in disbelief and utter disgust.

"He showed me the tattoo..." Ruslan turned to face me, his face not showing any emotions before he turned his gaze back to the traffic. We were now in a suburban area, woods surrounding either side of the narrow road.

"He loves you, Gaia. He'll do anything for you. He is doing everything for you. I can't convince you to fall for him." he spoke steering the car towards a turn that led to the thicker woods. My eyes widened taking in the scenario, the dense, old trees made my hackles rise. I am not a fan of woods. The greenery made the temperature drop, making me shiver.

The car came to a halt in front of an old but beautiful mansion, surrounded by beautiful flower vines. There was an old fountain in front that looked like it hadn't been used in years. He rounded the car and opened the door for me. Holding on to his outstretched hand, I came out. A very pleasant smell wafted my senses as soon as I stepped my foot outside. More flower beds surrounded the areas, with roses mostly from what I could gather through the swift sweep of the area. the rustle of small trees filled my ears like the music of independence before he could lock me inside.

"Welcome to my humble adobe." He gestured to lead me to the house. My eyebrows bunched in a frown at being led inside so quickly before I could be locked again.

"I can understand your frustration. You spent a month..." he was beginning to say before I shook my head and walked towards the giant doors of the house.