[54] May His Soul Reach You

"Hey, Kirishima-kun, wanna grab a bite before heading back to the base?" Midoriya asked as they exited the grocery store

"Hey, Kirishima-kun, wanna grab a bite before heading back to the base?" Midoriya asked as they exited the grocery store. They were currently out doing grocery at the shopping district, and Eijiro was surprised Namimori had more than just necessities to feast upon whenever they wanted. The place was like a country of its own, it was no wonder none of them went with them when they shopped for the summer camp.

"Yeah, sure," he agreed.

Midoriya brought him to a cake shop, where the woman behind the counter greeted the greenet jovially, asking if he was there to buy Chrome and the other girls another piece of cake. Midoriya disagreed, saying him and his companion, which was just Eijiro, were just there to chill out after shopping for dinner ingredients.

"Didn't know you had a harem with 'Chrome-chan and the other girls'," Eijiro joked, trying to wiggle his way to opening Midoriya up, putting on quotation marks as he repeated the lady's words.

Midoriya chuckled. "Nah. Just been here a few times doing errands, which was cake shopping, mind you, just because I wasn't the busiest person among us."

They ate and drank in silence, the air filled with solemnity Eijiro couldn't think straight. His mind kept going back to the night when he was asking Midoriya to help him save their classmates; kept going back to Bakugo and Midoriya and everything that's been and is still between them.

Eijiro bit the insides of his cheek. He didn't want to feel nervous around Midoriya; he shouldn't. Why should he, when he wanted to befriend the aloof teen? (When he could feel something tugging at him, pulling him in, towards the center of gravity where the greenet is?) But he couldn't help but feel afraid of him. For some reason, the vibe around Midoriya had given him the impression of unapproachable. It wasn't hostile like Bakugo, but more like a cold, burning fire. Not that that would make sense, but what were freeze burns for? Despite the warmth and caring character he had, he was more of a loner type, a lot more harder to actually befriend than the likes of Todoroki and Bakugo.

"Hey, I hope you wouldn't mind me asking," he started. "I wanted to ask about Bakugo..." Eijiro trailed off, not sure how to bring the topic to the green head. With the visible animosity between Midoriya and Bakugo, he was walking on a minefield and unsure if his query will be answered. He just wanted to understand what's really going on between them, and between Bakugo and the whole Midoriya posse.

Bakugo always kept people at arm's-length, in an effort to maintain an image of independence and strength. He was straight up to keeping that image of him. Stubbornness was something that had kept Bakugo from being honest about a lot of things, and while stubbornness was close, it also wasn't quite the same as pride.

Pride had always been Bakugo's most defining personality trait. There had never been a moment when Bakugo wasn't proud of his achievements; when he hadn't seemed desperate to be recognized as not just good but the best. He'd always had an infallible sense of confidence in himself-often to a fault, but surprisingly that confidence had just as often seemed to work out in his favor. He had never hesitated, always believing he knew exactly what he was doing at any given moment, even if sometimes it figuratively meant death of his opponent.