The Night of Dreamers

The stars had only begun to blink into the sky when there was a soft knock at my door. I hadn't left since Azriel had brought me back to the House of Wind earlier. He had to check in with some of his spies and I wanted the time alone anyway.

What I had done to the Attor didn't bother me in the slightest. There had been a deep sense of satisfaction in hurting him, then leaving him for dead. The blood that had stained my skin hadn't caused me any distress. No, it was the fact that it didn't that had me questioning my own character. Even if the Attor deserved it, I should have some remorse for it, the acts themselves, but it wasn't there.

The door opened anyway, the person on the other side too impatient to wait for my answer. Cassian grinned at me lounging across the bed, readying some smart remark for sure. I groaned dramatically for his benefit and sat up, eyeing him and waiting.

"I get that you're the baby of the group but isn't it a little late to be napping?" he prodded, stopping and crossing his arms over his chest. He was dressed down, wearing causal clothes over his Illyrian leathers for wherever he was about to go.

"And isn't it past your bedtime, you old bat?" I sniped, glaring. He chuckled in amusement and motioned for me to get up. I ignored him, and instead asked, "What is it?"

"We're all going to dinner."

"Oh."

It was so... normal. He seemed to sense the awkwardness I felt and shrugged.

"It's nothing formal. Wear what you want. The restaurant is one of the best in Velaris. It'll be great."

"It's not like I actually have a choice in the matter. You'll just drag me down there if I say no anyway," I huffed with a laugh.

"You're right."

I rolled my eyes and ushered him back out so that I could change quickly. After the ordeal with the Attor earlier, I had bathed and put on comfortable clothes. Not the kind I'd want to wear to traipse through Velaris.

I donned a light ombré, tulle gown. The top was a bluish grey that transitioned into a pale coral around the knees. The straps were very thin but held the gown in place. The front curved into a deep v and the back was was low as well. It was nice enough to go out to dinner, probably too much, but I didn't care. I hadn't worn a gown the entirety of the time I was in Hybern.

Cassian smiled, offering his elbow to me and we descended a level below to the nearest balcony. I asked him how the trip to the human lands had been for him and he snorted. I cocked a brow and waited for some explanation.

With a huff he replied, "As well as could be expected. Feyre's sisters are well..."

"I heard," I told him in amusement, "I also heard that one of them seems to especially get under your skin."

His expression slackened and he peered over at me suspiciously. "Where did you hear that?"

I laughed, shrugging as I answered, "The grapevine."

He muttered something too low for me to hear and I shook my head in amusement. I wouldn't dare tip him off that it had been Nuala and Cerridwen who had overheard the conversation with Amren, Rhys' second that I had yet to meet. They wouldn't relay any tidbits of information they picked up to me if I ratted them out.

He didn't bother to pester me about it as he picked me up and launched us into the night sky. Cassian flew more recklessly than Azriel had, speeding through the sky and banking sharply around buildings as we descended into the city. I shot him a withering look, which only earned me a proud smirk in return. He suddenly dove forward, and I hissed, tightening my hold on him as we spiraled for the ground.