The Quiet and Lonely

My eyes drifted over the city before me as I took another sip of the tea one of the twins had made me. I nestled deeper into the plush chaise, still ignoring the book I had plucked randomly from its shelf. The set up on the rooftop was lovely and peaceful. The air was cool and a slight breeze rustled my hair at times, but I didn't mind it. It was felt nice.

Rhys had insisted I stay in the townhouse while he, Feyre, Cassian, and Azriel went to visit Feyre's human family at their estate. They were to attempt to convince the two sisters to allow us to use their home as a meeting place with the human Queens. While there, they would write them about the danger coming and to beg for a meeting about the Book of Breathings. The only hope we had if Feyre were to nullify the cauldron.

I was relieved when Rhysand had clued me in on their plans and what steps they has already taken to get a few steps ahead of Hybern. Some part of me believed they would keep me in the dark, thinking I was untrustworthy or a reliability. They had visited the bone carver before I had even arrived, traveling deep into that prison that often made me shudder to think about. The stories we were told as young children had left me never wanting to step foot in that cursed slab of rock.

Rhysand had also taken Feyre into the Weaver's wood. As soon as he had mentioned their goal for that visit... I had grown suspicious. He claimed it was to test Feyre's abilities to sense objects with certain scents or auras attached to them- So that we knew she could eventually track the half of the book located in the Summer Court. There was only one object in the Weaver's cottage that Rhysand would send someone in for.

The story had only been heard in passing, but I recalled it. Mother had deposited her ring in that cottage, for the Weaver to safeguard. Until someone came along that Rhys loved. Mate or not. The female would have to retrieve that ring to prove she was worthy of Rhysand and our court. I hadn't even been born when mother had done this. Yet, Feyre had retrieved the ring. So that left the question of what she was to Rhys. None of the others know what the ring symbolizes. Though, I could be wrong and it was all he could think of to send her after, but I doubted it.

Cassian had brought me down this morning and I had been lounging around all day, unsure what to do with myself. Rhysand had introduced me to Nuala and Cerridwen before they left. They'd help me with whatever I'd need. They were both friendly and quiet, letting me be for now. Of course, I could go out into Velaris again, but after last night I was mentally exhausted.

I'd eventually found Azriel that night in the Rainbow, coming back to meet me from wherever he had disappeared to. I hadn't bothered to ask and only requested he take me back to the house. It was a quiet flight back.

I finished the last of my tea and sighed, picking up the untouched book and going back into the townhouse. The kitchen was empty as I moved to the sink with my cup, the whole house unnervingly silent.

Taking my time, I walked to the front of the house, still surprised by the charming simplicity of Rhys' home. Various works of art decorated the walls of the downstairs level. My favorite room was the sitting area, which hosted a large black fireplace and bookshelves that were built into the walls themselves. The furniture was nice, but you could tell it had been used frequently. Anyone could tell that this was a real home.

Sitting on one of the soft couches, I finally opened the book I had been toting around with me all day. Several hours passed as I read, absorbing the words as if they held all the answers I could ever ask. There was hardly any time for me to read in Hybern. I always had better things I could be doing instead, skills I could be improving.

"You haven't made it far," a voice mused, breaking through my silent bubble.

I jumped and slammed the book shut, glaring as I shot, "A warning might be nice, Mor."