Untitled Part 175

Start from the beginning

This included Minister Lin's retirement. The court felt that it was due to the Jing Emperor being dissatisfied with him that he was forced to do so. But on the surface, the Jing Emperor didn't seem to have made any moves. They only knew that this towering minister who had stood through three reigns had fallen just like that, fallen without any sound.

Since even an old official like Minister Lin had fallen, no one dared to make the Jing Emperor unhappy. It was better to first see if his majesty agreed or not.

The officials exchanged glances and looked towards Minister Xu.

The old man stood on the left, his hands holding the jade tablet, and looked as steady as Mt. Tai. Although he wasn't a tall person, he gave off a towering presence.

The silence continued.

The officials knew the person above them had a lot of patience, and naturally didn't feel like dragging it out.

At this time, an official stepped out from the back and after saluting said: "Majesty, this servant feels his highness the Yun Prince is truly righteous, and is a pillar of our society...."

This official went on and on in praise of the Yun Prince.

After he finished, he returned to his original spot.

The Jing Emperor didn't reveal any expression, but he nodded his head.

Seeing the Jing Emperor's reaction, several officials naturally followed after and started praising the Yun Prince as well. After a few rounds of this, the intelligent people had already understood the Jing Emperor's meaning.

By praising the Yun Prince, wasn't it saying his actions were extremely correct? It turns out his majesty wanted to abolish his vassal state.

But this matter didn't have much to do with the officials. After all, the one being stripped of his position was one of the Luo family, and had nothing to do with their own benefits. Since his majesty wanted to do it, those under him agreed one after the other.

The Jing Emperor didn't give a response during court, but three days later passed an edict accepting the Yun Prince's memorandum.

He also generously bestowed rewards onto the Yun Prince. Not only did he renovate and expand the Yun Prince Estate within the capital, he also increased the prince's salary from ten thousand grain to twelve thousand. He also preserved the Yun Province and the Yun vassal state, and merely withdrew the militia and authority. The vassal prince still had the choice of living in his vassal state, but could also choose to return to the capital.

He then personally invited the Yun Prince back to the capital, showing extremely favorable treatment.

Then, that was it.

Everyone had guessed that the Jing Emperor was preparing to make a move against vassal princes, but realized he didn't take any further actions. It was as if the Yun Prince's request this time was just a farce, a joke played out by the Yun Prince who had never been impressive.

***

As time went by, many people forget about this event. But there were others who didn't dare lower their guard.

The first was naturally the Qi Prince.

His conspiracy with the Jin Prince was the turning point of his life. It was impossible for him not to have any designs on the throne himself back then, but he realized he wasn't as capable as his older brother, and willingly became his helper instead.

Unfortunately, things had failed, the Jin Prince perished and he himself lost an arm and was confined afterwards. His mother concubine accompanied his father to the grave. He understood his mother concubine's actions very well. It was to seek a path of survival for him, and for the Xu family.