Untitled Part 26

Only after being taken into the Hall of Splendor by Eunuch Fu did these six low-ranked palace maids realize the stroke of luck that had befallen them.

It was as though heaven's fortune had descended and struck them all on the head.

The Hall of Splendor was his highness the Jing Prince's residence, and Eunuch Fu was the estate's eunuch in charge of internal affairs. This time he was choosing people to fill spots in the Hall of Splendor, though no one had expected themselves to be chosen.

Everyone could understand what it meant to work in the Hall of Splendor so the group was overjoyed.

Eunuch Fu glanced at these overjoyed low-ranked palace maids and his eyes flashed a little, though he didn't say anything and called over a low-ranked eunuch to lead them away before leaving himself.

The low-ranked eunuch took Xiao Hua and the rest to the palace maids' room and gave them a brief explanation of the Hall of Splendor's situation and the restrictions of working here. He then left them to familiarize themselves with the situation. Their roles would be arranged by tomorrow.

The palace maids' room was similar to the rooms in the sweeper area, the only difference being that it was six to a room here instead of four. The room was a large open area with three beds in a row on either side. Because all the beds were against the wall, there really wasn't a need to worry about whether a spot was better than another. Xiao Hua chose the innermost bed on the right side and placed her bag of belongings down. Xiu Yun chose the middle bed next to Xiao Hua's.

Qiao Lian's personality was forceful, and seeing Xiao Hua occupy an innermost bed she immediately walked towards the innermost bed on the left side. The low-ranked palace maid called Zhi'er started moving around the same time, and the two of them stood glaring at each other in front of the bed. Zhi'er was seemingly no match for Qiao Lian and went to the middle spot instead. The remaining two could only go to the outermost beds. Xi'er chose the bed by Xiu Yun and Mei'er was left with the remaining bed.

Their personalities were just that weird. Despite having just fought over spots until their faces were red a moment ago, they soon gathered together and started chatting.

As expected, they talked about the kinds of jobs they might get, as well as whether or not his highness would be hard to serve.

Xiao Hua didn't join in the fun, silently organizing her stuff instead. The palace maids each received a small cabinet as well. Xiao Hua checked for dust in her cabinet and put her two sets of clothing inside.

Each person got a set of bedsheets and blankets on their bed. Xiao Hua again busied herself with arranging her bedding. After everything was done, she half lay on her bed as she looked at those clearly excited low-ranked palace maids, letting out a sigh in her heart.

In fact, if she had the choice, she wouldn't have come here. But since it was an order from above, what could a mere low-ranked palace maid say. She could only take things as they came.

Xiu Yun also didn't join in on the conversation, and silently arranged her own bedding. Only her lightly trembling fingers revealed how excited she was.

Her sister's words had finally been confirmed!

***

The Hall of Splendor was a very large palace pavilion.

The actual hall in the middle was an enormous residence where the Jing Prince lived. There were adjacent halls on either side, and on the edges were small courtyards where the palace maids and eunuchs lived. There was also a large kitchen that covered much of the area.

The chores of Xiao Hua's group had been decided. They were responsible for sweeping the various courtyards and walkways of the Hall of Splendor. Their roles hadn't changed much and they were still low-ranked palace maids who were sweeping outside. However, sweeping the Hall of Splendor was naturally different from sweeping various places outside, so everyone was endlessly joyous. Only Xiao Hua was worried after a few days that things weren't as simple as they seemed.