But now that the Jinyang Estate's people were already in custody, would Tian-Shi keep silent to protect those who betrayed her? Even a fool would know that wasn't possible. Furthermore, with the three departments collaborating, Tian-Shi wouldn't be able to hide it if she tried.

The Jinyang Estate's people were jointly guarded by the three departments. No one was allowed to visit them, and it wasn't possible to make any moves in the dark. They could only watch as the hearing set for three days later approached.

On this day, the senior concubine invited Virtuous Concubine Qiao to the Chenxi Palace for a conversation.

Xiao Hua didn't say much, and merely chatted idly with her while smiling brightly. It seemed as if the chaos outside had nothing to do with her.

In comparison, Virtuous Concubine Qiao seemed to be a little restless, her smile also a little forced.

"Little sis virtuous concubine, have you been sleeping well? You have bags under your eyes. Us women cannot be compared to men, especially if you're older. Not sleeping well for a day would age you a few years. We're not young after all." Xiao Hua felt her own tender face and lowered her eyes, lamenting how quickly beauty fades.

"Concubine is still young, and naturally doesn't have this problem."

"That's true." Xiao Hua's eyes rippled and she shot Virtuous Concubine Qiao a glance. "But the same can't be said for little sis virtuous concubine. After all, at your age, it's still important to pay attention to this."

"Thank you for concubine's consideration." Virtuous Concubine Qiao had been a little absent-minded the entire time, and didn't seem to realize Xiao Hua was mocking her. "This servant concubine has some things to take care of in the palace, and can't accompany senior concubine any longer. This servant concubine will take her leave first."

Seeing her leave in a panic, Xiao Hua curled her lips and said: "Ding Xiang, how many more sleepless nights do you think this virtuous concubine will have?"

Ding Xiang smiled and said: "At least two more, until the hearing three days later. It's also possible that there will be more sleepless nights after that. It's her fault for not knowing her place."

"That's true. Who would have expected that she was the one fanning the flames in the dark? However, she's also a smart one and understands how to use people's weaknesses. Luckily our majesty does things differently from other people. This has astonished quite a lot of people."

Ding Xiang nodded, but her gaze suddenly turned gloomy, "But it still affected concubine's pure reputation."

"Enough, what pure reputation?" Xiao Hua waved her hand carelessly. "This thing needed to be taken care of sooner or later. Might as well get it done with while getting rid of some people. Furthermore....."

Xiao Hua didn't finish her sentence. After a while, she suddenly said: "You're about to be married off. Don't show your face in public in the coming days. This seat will have Chun Cao deal with things."

Ding Xiang wasn't quite at ease, "Can Chun Cao handle it? This servant is afraid she might get stage fright."

"Don't underestimate that lass...."

***

The day of the joint hearing finally arrived.

Within the judicial hall, the judicial department's supreme justice, the ministry of justice's prime minister and capital investigation bureau's left imperial censor were seated bright and early. The Jing Emperor's general manager Eunuch Fu's group was there as well.

The main judge was the supreme justice who sat in the central position. The prime minister and the left censor sat to either side of him. Eunuch Fu sat below them.