Untitled Part 161

Start from the beginning

"Can't really be counted as knowing. This was something the subordinates were responsible for. Eunuch Fu always investigates anyone entering the estate. Back when you went to the western pavilion and were made a madam, Eunuch Fu needed to change your registry and mentioned a few things to me. It was too busy back then, and I also didn't mind it."

Xiao Hua stroked her face in embarrassment. She had thought her past was very mysterious, but they had already thoroughly investigated everything. She curled up in her original spot again and brought up what happened at the mid-Autumn banquet.

After listening, the Jing Emperor frowned.

"She used your past to threaten you?"

"She hinted at it, but it doesn't seem like she wants to make a fuss out of it. She probably just wants to get some benefits from this servant concubine."

The Jing Emperor didn't speak, and half knitted his brows.

"This servant concubine didn't bother with her. This servant concubine still knows not to compromise in this situation, otherwise things will be hard to deal with in the future. This servant concubine isn't afraid of being laughed at, but I'm just afraid people will insinuate that I was a bed maid and cause problems...."

Speaking up to here, Xiao Hua finally started feeling uneasy.

"Majesty, this servant concubine....."

The Jing Emperor patted her hand comfortingly, "Don't worry. A small marquis's madam. She wouldn't dare even if you ignored her."

"Sorry, this servant concubine has a lowly background...." As she spoke, Xiao Hua's eyes turned red.

How could she not care about it? She just intentionally ignored it. Back at the western pavilion it wasn't that noticeable, but after coming to the capital, everything was about background, household status and etiquette. The reason those officials made such a fuss a few days ago was, to put it plainly, because of her lowly status. She didn't have a formidable clan behind her, and only had the Jing Emperor. If it were the empress in her position instead, no one would have popped out.

But Xiao Hua also knew that her birth wasn't something she could change. She didn't feel ashamed of her birth, but merely felt that she was bringing a lot of trouble onto her man. Her son was also implicated by his mother's lowly status.

"Why cry? You are Our senior concubine. How can your status be lowly?!"

"That's not it. This servant concubine just feels I've brought a lot of trouble onto majesty. Zhuo'er and the children have also been implicated....."

Don't think she wasn't aware just how much pressure he had been under in court the last few days before finally managing to suppress things.

"We don't feel troubled. Zhuo'er also wouldn't."

"Majesty—"

Xiao Hua smiled through her tears and pounced into the Jing Emperor's arms.

Although she understood this already in her heart, she was still pretty moved when he said it. With just these few words, she was able to put aside her sense of inferiority. She could laugh coldly and disdain the slander of others.

The Jing Emperor wiped Xiao Hua's tears, "Don't overthink it. Since there hasn't been any movement, it means she's afraid. No need to mind her."

"En."

***

Because the Jing Emperor needed to get up for court every morning, Xiao Hua's daily routine had been adjusted to match his.