Untitled Part 158

Start from the beginning

Cai Lian was left standing there in fright.

Not many people knew that the empress was coughing up blood. The bloodied handkerchiefs were never reused. She had them burned. Cai Lian didn't understand, but since she was the empress who wouldn't lack for anything, it was quite normal for her to get rid of a dirtied handkerchief.

However, the empress had never told her to keep this a secret. Therefore, it's fine if she let Cui Ju help her wash it, right? She had also made up an excuse for it.

Cai Lian thought this and felt relieved.

.....

What a crisp sound, the tea cup was shattered on the ground.

Bai Shao couldn't help but shiver. This was already the royal concubine's third shattered cup in the past few days.

"They were all beaten to death?"

"En."

"For this trivial matter, this seat has already lost several people. Now another few deeply hidden people have been lost. This old eunuch is really vicious. How did I not notice him before?!"

"Concubine, calm your anger!"

The royal concubine laughed a couple of times, her expression weird, "Calm what anger? This is a good thing. Since they wish to go to war, then I'll truly stir things up. Let's see how the emperor plans to clear things up this time."

After a while, the royal concubine spoke again: "Nana Zhao, keep an eye on the empress. That person has way too many failures and not enough successes!"

"Yes."

***

The beatings this time stirred up the entire rear palace, and also the entire court.

The previous emperor had just died less than a year ago. Theoretically, the new emperor should be showing filial piety and modesty, and shouldn't be making such a fuss.

But he had acted and had so many people beaten to death. Although they were all servants, the blood had stained the court. The previous emperor had died less than a year ago and the new emperor hadn't changed his title yet. This was all going against convention.

Of course, these conventions weren't rules, and didn't have to be followed. But new emperors normally abided by these conventions in case they got criticized. Only the Jing Emperor broke off from the norm.

The officials naturally couldn't criticize the emperor, so they could only criticize the general managing eunuch and the prime senior concubine behind him.

Actually Eunuch Fu was only criticized in passing. After all, he was someone who followed the Jing Emperor and obeyed his commands. He wasn't ordered by the senior concubine. But since the prime senior concubine had appeared in her carriage at the time, everyone could naturally make a fuss and say she was the mastermind.

Therefore, the prime senior concubine became a demoness.

Those officials naturally didn't use this word in front of the Jing Emperor. They merely said the prime senior concubine was using her seductive wiles to confuse and shake up the nation. Her methods were cruel and her heart was vicious, and wasn't suitable to be the crown prince's mother.

Not only did the officials jump out and say this, even Minister Lin stepped out at this time. Minister Xu on the other hand didn't express any opinion.

What the officials said in the first part could still be ignored. They were at most saying the prime senior concubine's character wasn't good. The last part was the main point of this situation.