Untitled Part 155

Start from the beginning

None of the former concubines dared to kick this dog who had fallen into the water, even though the royal concubine was no longer the empress and even though she didn't even have a son.

Her daily life was extremely leisurely, copying down a few scriptures and burning some incense in worship. If seemed that after the previous emperor died, she had gotten addicted to burning incense and worshipping Buddha.

When the empress came to pay respects, she was in the middle of copying a scripture. She didn't put on any airs, and didn't force the empress to wait outside. Instead, she allowed the empress to stand and watch next to her.

Around half an hour later, the royal concubine placed the brush in her hand down and slowly let out a breath. Two palace maids offered a warm hand towel which she pressed against her face before using to wipe her hands and throwing it back on the palace maid's tray.

They went to the main hall and took a seat. The royal concubine sat in the higher seat while the empress sat in the lower one. They royal concubine lifted her tea cup and started drinking tea.

What the empress hated most about the royal concubine was this point. No matter the occasion, she always had to display this lofty attitude. The empress hadn't met her that many times, and it was all when she had first married the fifth prince. Every time she went to the Fengqi Palace, this so called aunt of hers was always seated high up on her throne while she kowtowed below and trembled.

As of today, she was now the empress while her status had become awkward. But it still seemed that her own status was lower than hers.

The empress suddenly had the urge to smash her cup and leave, but managed to suppress it. She understood what she was here for.

"I heard your health isn't too good?"

"Yes, aunt."

As she spoke, the empress couldn't help but cough a couple of times. Although she seemed to have recovered, it was really just on the surface.

The royal concubine gave her a glance and said faintly: "Your body is your biggest asset. Those outside hadn't even made a move yet and you're already angering yourself to death. What's the point of struggling on? Why not just honestly stay in place."

The empress's face suddenly flushed. She felt humiliated at having her flaws pointed out. She wanted to speak, but was interrupted before she could.

"Here are a few scriptures. Take them back and write down a copy every day to clear your mind. Bai Shao, send the empress back."

"Yes."

The empress left unwillingly. Bai Shao returned to the royal concubine's side.

"Concubine, is this ok? This servant noticed that the empress's face was full of indignation. I'm just afraid she'll form some resentment in her heart."

"If this seat had known things would turn out like this, I definitely wouldn't have given her to the Jing Prince. Any other daughter in the Xiao clan would have been more presentable than her. This personality of hers needs to be properly polished." After speaking, the royal concubine lifted the tea cup. She said with a frown, "This tea is getting worse and worse....."

Bai Shao didn't dare speak.

When the royal concubine was still the empress, all the good things in the palace was first given to the Fengqi Palace. This included the finest tea leaves. As of today, the empress was now the royal concubine, and her treatment naturally wasn't as good. Of course, this didn't mean that the Jing Emperor was mistreating the former concubines. It's just that a concubine's allocations were this way to begin with. It's hard to become frugal after being accustomed to luxury. This saying was quite fitting.