Untitled Part 150

Start from the beginning

After around a quarter of an hour, the crown prince and the two ministers walked out. Their expressions were solemn.

Zheng Hai Quan called hoarsely: "Announcing the empress—–"

Empress Xiao stood up. Her eyes were half shut and her expression showed endless grief that she silently endured by herself. She wasn't a mess of tears like the others. She lowly took a few steps, stumbled a little and then finally couldn't control her sorrow and ran into the inner hall.

This scene was seen by Luo Jing and the two ministers. Luo Jing's face remained expressionless but the two ministers revealed a strange look in their eyes.

"Majesty....."

Empress Xiao sprawled onto the bed and couldn't speak through her sobs.

"Min'er, how long have you been married to Us?"

"Over, over forty years as of today."

Emperor Xi revealed an absentminded smile. His shriveled and pale lips moved, seemingly muttering something too quiet for Empress Xiao to clearly hear. He raised his hand and she reluctantly straightened up and sat on the couch.

"Min'er. Have you ever regretted marrying Us?"

Empress Xiao froze, "Never."

"We....have also never regretted marrying you. You, were Our crown prince consort, as well as Our first and only empress."

Empress Xiao's expression showed both sadness and joy as her tears flowed once again.

"Majesty...."

"Now that We are about to pass away, do you have any reluctance to part?"

"This servant concubine is naturally heartbroken....."

Emperor Xi revealed a smile filled with hidden meaning.

The hall was silent enough to hear a pin drop. Emperor Xi's gentle voice suddenly sounded out.

"......We will give you two choices. Either accompany Us in death, or live on without the status of empress dowager....."

Empress Xiao seemed to be immersed in her grief, and only until Emperor Xi finished speaking did she snap out of it.

"Majesty?"

Emperor Xi's haggard face was untouched by emotion as he looked at Empress Xiao's extremely astonished and slightly aggrieved expression. The heartlessness of a monarch was completely manifested at this moment.

Only now did Empress Xiao understand that even if this person was unable to move due to illness, as long as he wasn't dead, he was still the emperor of the Grand Xi nation, and would always be above her.

But, just why?

Why did he give her this sort of choice?

It was reasonable for her to become the future empress dowager, why....

Empress Xiao, whose wisdom and foresight weren't any worse than any man's, was a complete mess at the moment. She wasn't even able to figure out why Emperor Xi would do something like this.

Emperor Xi's feeble yet clear voice sounded out once again. His gaze contained a coldness Empress Xiao had never seen before.

"......what you and the crown prince did, We will let it slide. Now—-give Us your decision....."

These words finally broke through Empress Xiao's mental barriers. She didn't have the confidence to look at her husband. At this moment, all her grief and sorrow had completely vanished without a trace. What was left was absolute astonishment and fear.