Untitled Part 150

Start from the beginning

Compared to the ministers, Emperor Xi gave more specific examples. After all, he had been the emperor for many years, and understood the characters of his officials and their various factions like the back of his hand. Luo Jing would often feel enlightened when listening to him speak.

Unfortunately, Emperor Xi's body had long since been hollowed out. Having suffered repeated stimulation recently, the only reason he could hang on was due to the various medicines. As time continued to pass, his energy faded more and more, and the amount of time he was conscious grew less and less. Now, there were even times when he wouldn't wake for three days. According to the imperial hospital, he had perhaps a couple of days left.

The water outside turned to ice as the weather grew cold. The Violet Imperial Hall was filled with people.

Empress Xiao was there as well as Senior Concubine Xu. There were also a few of Emperor Xi's high ranked concubines, and a few princesses of various ages. The room was filled with women, but Luo Jing was the only man present.

After some acupuncture and medicine, Emperor Xi slowly awoke.

The women's weeping shook the heavens. Emperor Xi's mouth moved and Zheng Hai Quan leaned over.

"His majesty orders for everyone to leave. Only the crown prince shall remain."

Empress Xiao led the women out of the hall, leaving the crown prince behind.

Emperor Xi leaned against his pillow with the help of Zheng Hai Quan. His face contained an unnatural trace of color. Luo Jing new that he had just drank old ginseng soup, and this was essentially the final radiance of the setting sun.

"You've understood pretty much everything of what I needed to teach. The Grand Xi Nation will be left to you in the future."

"Father...."

"Of the two ministers, Xu can be used. Lin needs to be carefully used...."

"Your son understands."

Emperor Xi had already told Luo Jing this before. He understood the reasoning. Although Minister Xu was part of a faction, he could be said to be an independent official. Minster Lin was the opposite. Behind him stood a very complicated noble household. Nobility had to be used, but couldn't be overly depended upon. They needed to be raised but also restrained.

Luckily, despite his deficiencies, Emperor Xi was rather clear about court affairs. The noble households had been suppressed by him for many years, and only the Lin family had successfully raised Lin Jian to the forefront.

Emperor Xi didn't speak further. Zheng Hai Quan walked in and said softly: "The two ministers have arrived."

"Announcing—–"

The outside of the hall was filled with kneeling people. The sound of suppressed weeping filled the room.

Everyone felt extremely at a loss. After all, those who were kneeling were all related to Emperor Xi in some way. As the old emperor was replaced by the new generation, people like them would no longer be imperial concubines. Those with children were better off, but those without could only live out their days in the depths of the palace.

The calmest person amongst them was Empress Xiao. Out of all these people, she was the clear beneficiary. Once the new emperor ascended the throne, she would become the empress dowager. Since the new emperor didn't have his birth mother, she would be the only empress dowager within the rear palace.

The Grand Xi Dynasty emphasized filial piety, and her glorious future could only be imagined. Even if she and the new monarch didn't get along under the surface, as long as she was the empress dowager he had to show her respect. Especially since the future empress was her niece.