Untitled Part 134

Start from the beginning

"This matter can't be rushed. There are no fools here. If we make it too obvious, not only will the Jin Prince denounce us in the chaos, even the court officials will criticize us."

"Your son understands." The crown prince knew the reasoning. "Zheng Hai Quan isn't suspicious? He's with father every day. Should we?" The crown prince made a hand gesture.

When Zheng Hai Quan was mentioned, even Empress Xiao had a headache. She thought about it and said: "We can't. Zheng Hai Quan's profile is too high. If something happens to him right after your father fell ill, it will provoke more speculation. It's not appropriate to rush things at this stage. Luckily Imperial Physician Zhou's skills are pretty good, and the medicine he prescribed is brilliant. As long as he cooperates, there shouldn't be any problems."

The two of them discussed a little further before the crown prince left the Fengqi Palace. Empress Xiao changed her clothes before returning to the Violet Imperial Hall.

The way things were now, it was still better for her to keep a closer watch. After all, the empress and the emperor were a "harmonious couple". Now that his majesty was ill, the empress caring for him without regards to her own royal body would properly display her virtue.

While the empress was in discussion with the crown prince, Senior Concubine Xu and the Jin Prince were also having a debate in the Chunluan Palace.

"How can there not be anything suspicious? This prince doesn't believe it, absolutely not!"

"Your mother also doesn't believe it." Senior Concubine Xu frowned deeply and said: "But so many people have examined him. The empress also resorted to drastic measures and invited the two ministers over as witnesses. Now no one is able to bring up any doubts. This empress is too crafty. She appeared to be flustered by us but had been scheming secretly. The situation developed too fast, and this seat couldn't ask for more physicians to come in front of the ministers. After all, Chief Bai and the other two physicians are all elders of the imperial hospital."

The Jin Prince clearly understood that Empress Xiao had tricked them, but some things could only be done once. They couldn't spread rumors anymore. Firstly, the empress would be justified in punishing everyone and the court couldn't say anything about it. Secondly, they would be going against the two respected ministers. Therefore, the Jin Prince and Senior Concubine Xu could only swallow this grievance.

"Lin Jian that old fogey is really useless. Couldn't he have spoken up for this prince?"

Senior Concubine Xu smiled bitterly. "Not even you or I could have spoken up in that situation, let alone Minister Lin. The empress's actions were too overt, and they were clear and reasonable. No one would dare object. Furthermore, with Minister Xu next to him, how could Minister Lin speak up?"

The JIn Prince's words were also just venting his anger. As of now, he was in a difficult situation.

"It's better to be careful in the coming days. Don't let them catch any hints. Let's plan things out slowly."

"Your son understands."

***

Once everyone had left the inner hall, Emperor Xi who was unconscious on the royal bed suddenly opened his eyes.

Zheng Hai Quan shrunk his neck back. He bent his waist and leaned in.

"Majesty—"

The person on the royal bed remained unmoving. He first laughed coldly a few times before suddenly saying: "We want food."

Zheng Hai Quan said "yes" before going off to arrange it.

Emperor Xi arranged this plan to beat them at their own game. There weren't many who were in on it: Imperial Physician Zhou and Zheng Hai Quan, as well as some of the eunuchs in the hall and two of Emperor Xi's trusted aides.