Untitled Part 116

Start from the beginning

This damn Jin Prince!

Emperor Xi returned to his seat and lifted his teacup, "Does crown prince wish to try?"

"You son...."

Seeing the crown prince's hesitation, Emperor Xi's face turned cold.

The crown prince gritted his teeth, "Your son is willing to try."

After speaking these words, the crown prince actually relaxed. He turned his head and smiled at the Jin Prince: "Royal brother, this humble one wasn't your match in archery since we were young. You should show some mercy later."

These words were quite profound. Everyone knew the Jin Prince's archery skills were excellent. Since he took the initiative to compete with the crown prince in this, wasn't he doing it on purpose? Even if he won, people would say it was a lopsided match. At the same time, even if the crown prince lost, he had already given himself a safety net.

It had to be said that no one was simple within the royal family. Just a few sentences could contain so many pitfalls.

The crowd's gaze fell upon the Jin Prince, who muttered to himself and revealed an apologetic expression, "Forgive your brother's lack of consideration. To avoid an uneven match, how about competing in something else?"

The crown prince let out a breath in relief at the Jin Prince's tact.

What could they compete in?

One of the imperial guards interrupted, "How about the two princes compete in polo?"

Polo was a sport enjoyed by the nobility of the Grand Xi Dynasty. Even Emperor Xi participated when he was younger. Now that he was old, he no longer played but the palace still had its own polo field.

The main point was that there wasn't much else the princes could compete in if archery wasn't an option. Competing with fists or swords would easily result in injury, and it wouldn't be a minor issue no matter who got hurt. Also, the loser in an individual competition would lose a lot of face. Polo was different since it was a team sport. The losing side could easily blame his team for not cooperating well.

To avoid any potential awkwardness from arising, the subordinates had put in quite a lot of thought. Otherwise, if something really happened, those present at the scene wouldn't be able to avoid becoming scapegoats.

Only after seeing Emperor Xi's approval did the person who made the suggestion relax.

Since Emperor Xi had agreed, the two princes weren't able to say anything else.

It's just that it definitely wouldn't happen today, and there wasn't enough time for it either. They scheduled it for the day after tomorrow, giving both sides some time to prepare.

The crown prince was still a little dazed after leaving the training grounds. He had clearly gone to see "just how impressive his royal brother's martial arts were". How did the two of them end up scheduling a polo match?

However, seeing Emperor Xi's interested expression, the crown prince also felt some enthusiasm. He had to win against the Jin Prince to regain his prestige as the crown prince.

Empress Xiao and Senior Concubine Xu both received the news. Before they could summon their sons to ask about the situation, Emperor Xi released an imperial edict. The younger generation of all the officials and nobility could participate in this polo match. The winner would be bestowed the Dragon Ascending Ornament, and all the participants would be rewarded and conferred titles as well.

The timing had once again been moved back, and the match would now be held ten days later. Emperor Xi said this was to allow both sides to properly prepare, but his intentions were unclear.